Macbooks, what Post Processing software?

thanks for the tips

sounds like life span on these and performance is alot better

i don't want to shell out close to £1k this side of xmas to find the other side of xmas i could have saved a couple of hundred quid from me upgrading in RAM and HD.

any reasons why not to buy the listed above softwares from ebay (cheaper) or download older versions?

any reasons why not to buy the listed above softwares from ebay (cheaper)

Yep, they'll probably be pirated versions. You're just lining someone elses pockets buying something that you could (note the could, not should ;)) have dolwnloaded yourself for free (albeit illegally).

thanks for the tips

sounds like life span on these and performance is alot better

i don't want to shell out close to £1k this side of xmas to find the other side of xmas i could have saved a couple of hundred quid from me upgrading in RAM and HD.

any reasons why not to buy the listed above softwares from ebay (cheaper) or download older versions?

I wouldn't bother with the older versions of software because large companies don't go back and update old packages so all you new features on your computer stop working in these packages and you loose all the features that you see people talking about. Also you might well find incompatibilities as well. If you do go back to older software I wouldn't buy anything older than CS3.

If you are happy with CS2 why not put an advert in wanted and see if someone has upgraded and has an old version. It no longer matters if the old version was installed previously on an old computer. There has been a recent court ruling stating that a company cannot stop you selling your software so long as you have uninstalled it from your computer! I for example had a CS2 (I would give it to you but it is a student version so in this case you can't!)

I've just upgraded from a macbook to the top IMac as even when I quadrupled the memory I found it severely struggled with all the software I had on it.... Aperture, LR, Fireworks, Dreamweaver, Office... so be careful not to overload it!

I've just upgraded from a macbook to the top IMac as even when I quadrupled the memory I found it severely struggled with all the software I had on it.... Aperture, LR, Fireworks, Dreamweaver, Office... so be careful not to overload it!

All running at the same time? :wacky:

I'm an Aperture user currently but I don't have it loaded on my Powerbook. The PowerPC is where it sits but I'd like a look at Lightroom and I'd like a speed comparison between the two as Aperture is extremely memory-hungry.

had a play with iphoto in an apple store

nice and easy to use, but do know i want something with a bit more than contrasting and colour changing

how much is lightroom, as i hear alot of people use this as their main choice

It's about £200 IIRC, Aperture is a bit cheaper and does pretty much the same, just with a different feel to it.

It's about £200 IIRC, Aperture is a bit cheaper and does pretty much the same, just with a different feel to it.

thanks

is there a photoshop edition to consider too?

aperture is good, i personaly prefer lightroom for the interface.
You should try both before you decide (they should have trial versions available) and if you have enough bucks complete your postprocessing software with photoshop

if you are patient enough, you can only use photoshop to work on your pictures.
you can have access to all the lightroom and aperture features and more.
but it will take you time to handle efficiently every functionnalities on the processing, and it cost much more

so in summary is photoshop the all singing and dancing daddy version, but harder to use?

while lightroom and aperature are easier to use and master, and less techniques?

but when and if i finally get a macbook i will download what i can on the free trial to play and feel with. it's hard for a complete newbie with no knowledge

it's hard for a complete newbie with no knowledge

and you're not helping yourself by trying to decide before you've got a mac.

Once you have bought it you can download the trials and all will become clear!

Aperture is on v2 BTW (your Q in the other thread) with v3 hopefully appearing in the very near future.

thanks

i know it's hard to decide without trying, but just familarising myself with the options.

thanks for the help though.

I've a MBP with both Lightroom and CS4. I've not used Aperture as I was previously on PC and simply migrated across.

Depending on what you want to do you may find Elements more than upto the job. Photoshop has a lot of functionality, but I'm sure I don't use more than 5% of it. ( Most of the image processing is done in Lightroom) . The learning curve for Photoshop can be fairly steep. you may find Elements a lot easier to master. Plus it has the same look and feel of Photoshop so if you decide that's the way to go then what you've learnt in Elements transfers easily to it big brother.

Lightroom is an excellent program if you handle loads of images, but may be overkill if you don't. However it is really easy to learn and there are a lot of books and tutorials out there.

May I suggest you start with Elements ( Use the 30 day trial) then progress, if necessary.

it's not what i want to do, but would like to be able to do something like this (I know a bit crude finish, but to learn to do something like this is quite cool):
found on another site:

orig:
autowpruhondacivichatchgi0.jpg

PP:
HondaCivic.jpg

That sort of complicated stuff is certainly more in the realms of Photoshop, or the cheaper version of Photoshop which is Elements.

Lightroom and Aperture are digital asset management programs as well as editing programs, but you can't do layers to do the really complicated stuff, but on the flip side it is a lot easier to process a lot of images and get them out the door in a short amount of time.

Back