MacOS Sonoma and old printers?????

ChrisR

I'm a well known grump...
Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
The interwebs seem awash with complaints about problems with Sonoma and printers of various kinds. This has kept me from updating (though I have installed the latest security update to Ventura). I've read some of the many web pages about this, and AFAICS the answer seems to be to delete the printer, install updated drivers, and then re-install the printer. However, also AFAICS Canon is not all interested in updating the rivers on my printer. This is a bit rubbish, the printer's in fine health and only 12 years old (a PIXMA MG5250)!

Now the obvious plan might be to simply replace the printer with a better, more modern one. However, this printer sits downstairs next to the Family PC (Win10), for which it works just fine. This means that SWMBO will see it as Working Fine, hence no replacement will be authorised!

Apart from transferring every document to be printed to the Family PC via Dropbox, or applying thumbscrews, can anyone suggest a Way Forward?

If you have an old PC laying around, you might want to try installing Linux on it, I have resurrected more than one printer by plugging it into a Linux machine (including 15 year old Brother laser printers and 15 year old scanner for which the manufacturers no longer provide drivers for newer OSes).
As an alternative, is there an easy way to print via the Family PC? I see hints of this in Settings, but not sure how to actually do it...

Last edited:
Back