Review Macpro Minireview

very nice Darryn, mind if i turn it into a post?

Not at all, if you feel it can be of any use, it doesnt really feature much content, other than my only personal opinions, it has no direct comparisons etc, but if you want to post it, no problem go ahead.

In fact every time i browse it, I realise ive missed more and more, such as the dashboard with widgets and the single best OS feature ive every used Expose. If its going to take any effort on your behalf getting it ready to post, dont bother, I will add a lot more to it over the next couple of days.

Very good review - "almost" makes me want one ;)

I think you have used the same link for both reviews though?

Huh. What was wrong with your old PC to make Photoshop seem to run faster on your MacPro? Incase you're not aware its actually being emulated on OSX due to Adobe not releasing any Intel Binaries for it. So we all have to use the PowerPC versions. It was sluggish as hell on my MacBook Pro with 512mb of ram but its now usable with 2GB. I imagine its perfectly fine on a MacPro. As fast as it seems now, just wait till CS3 comes out with Intel binaries :) Glad you're enjoying the switch.

Oh also Parallels isn't emulation. Its virtualisation. Thats why its so quick. I can run Windows, OSX and Linux all at the same time with no performance drop. Its perfect for those times where you need to nip back to Windows.

Sorted the doc link.

Thanks for the info Pete, It was just the Adobe bridge/browser that my old PC struggled with, also PS seems to load quicker on the Mac. I am aware that CS2 uses PPC binaries and ill have to wait for CS3, im slightly annoyed im going to have to pay for an upgrade to CS2 ~£100 as they cant be arsed to rebuild the program for intels.... Ok so maybe it isnt that easy, but still, had I known before buying CS2 i would have made do with the Windows version until CS3 comes out.

Im not sure the differance between visualisation and emulation, but, as you say it quick, it will do no harm me installing it and having a play.

Damn that machine is quick then :) I think the basic difference between virtualisation and emulation is that with virtualisation it can directly access the hardware so the code can run natively rather than being software emulated.

This video shows the power of Parallels. XP, Redhat, OSX all running at once using Virtue Desktop to switch between them all.

Ohh that loves sexy, the transition effect between the OSes sells it for me. And the fact it will take Win2kpro, as I hate XP with a passion.

Ive done a slight update to the review, to include brief bits on Dashboard and Expose, and also to replace emulate with visualise. :p

Damn thats a bit annoying. I'm sure it won't take long for them to fix it. They seem quite on the ball about these things and it is the top package around for this so they'll be loosing out on potential sales by not updating. Only a matter of time.

Another point of interest is, Ive signed up to the Macformat forums and ive asked a few questions over there and ram and whatnot, they have asked me if i want to be featured in an upcoming MacFormat magazine, it appears I recieved my Macpro before their reviewer did and they want a "Me and My Mac" Q&A piece from a recent switcher....

They must have a very small community to pick me.... as a brand new forum member with 4 posts to his name.

thats great Darryn, it would be great if you can shoe-horn in www.talkphotography.co.uk into the piece...go on...you know you want to...go on..go on go on go on

another sidenote...what happened to the version i posted of this??

When I make my next update (to correct IE formatting issues) I will retake a couple of the photos and screenshots, ill ensure ive got the TP logo and URL across my monitor when I do it.

As for the version you posted :shrug:

Thanks mate :D

Matty...did you post one? lol

Thanks mate :D

Matty...did you post one? lol

i have a vague recollection of it, cos i spent ages trying to get the images in the right folder on the vps which i still cant find my way around...

maybe i just havent done it

:LOL: It *is* possible :D

VPS, logical as you like mate :p

Back