Macro and monpods

Name
Christian
Edit My Images
No
Anyone here have experience of using a monopod when shooting macro. I've got a decent enough tripod, just sometimes it would be nice to have the convenience of a monopod but unsure about how much use it is over ordinary handheld? :thinking:

I would have thought it depends on what your shooting, but I can only really think of a few macro shots I have done that I would have been able to use a monopod or tripod because of the height the subject was at.

Must be better than hand held for getting a steady shot. Try it and see if it gets it the way and hinders more than it helps.

I've used a monopod for macro and it's a huge help. I'm crap at hand holding at those distances and always previously used a tripod. I find a monopod is sufficiently steady to use servo AF for macro shots.

Chris,

I'm suprised that AI servo is reported to work okay but then it depends on the subject and size....there's a big difference between shooting something the size of a butterfly flattened out and shooting a fly's head.

I've been trying this for a while. It's not too bad at f8/f11 but opened up with a small depth of field then it's difficult to keep it sharp. I find the EF180 is easier to use in this mode than the EF-S60...probably the extra weight giving stability and the longer working distance helps.

I would put it in the same class as using a 2x t/c.....only do it if you have to. There's no substitute for a good 3 legged one with a focussing rail.

Bob

Well I know I'm pretty much on my own in advocating AF for macro, but it works for me and I always focus on the head/eye of whatever bug it is.

If you're hand holding then I'd agree - your chances of keeping that AF spot in the critical place are virtually nil and manual focus is the way to go. With a good support though it works very well with the 180L macro and servo AF.

Give it a go. ;)

Thanks for commenting guys. Based on CT's experience below, I'll borrow one off a friend and see how it goes.

I've used a monopod for macro and it's a huge help. I'm crap at hand holding at those distances and always previously used a tripod. I find a monopod is sufficiently steady to use servo AF for macro shots.

Chris,

I've been trying this for a while. It's not too bad at f8/f11 but opened up with a small depth of field then it's difficult to keep it sharp. I find the EF180 is easier to use in this mode than the EF-S60...probably the extra weight giving stability and the longer working distance helps.

Bob

Cheers Bob,

Though probably not as heavy as the 180L I use the Sigma 150 which is approx. double the weight of the 60mm and so I should get a similar benefit to you do when shooting with the 180L.

Best regards,

Chris

Ive not used a monopod, but for me a tripod when doing insect macro shots is next to useless (unless the insect is dead/dying/asleep). I tend to use MF and handhold all my shots. However, I wouldn't mind trying to use a monopod it it was easy and quick enough to adjust. Ive heard of one where you put your foot on a bit at the bottom of the monopod, then squeeze a lever and adjust its height. If this works how I imagine it in my head, I could see it being quite good and flexible enough for macro work.

Yep - this one MK. It's great! Get the cheapo tilt head with it - only about 14 quid.

I'm not advocating this place btw, it's just the first hit on a Google search.

CLICK

MK ... Less than 10 minutes ago I took delivery of the Manfrotto 685B Neotech on the recommendation of CT.

Im pleased to say it is as straightforward as you just described.
I just hope it makes some difference to those blurry macro shots of mine! ;)

Why aren't you out there in the undergrowth then Glo? ;)

Well I heard she's used to dirty knees. :coat:

It's not the lines it's the damned photo. Gotta have a shave and put me teeth in! I'll do it tomorrow. ;)

Back