Macro dragonfly with a dark background *New pic added*

Name
Sara
Edit My Images
Yes
Interested on your thoughts on whether this works really. I have played lots with my 100mm macro, the Speedlite 430EXII and an added extension tube (20mm I think).

So came up with shots of dragons with dark backgrounds - I like these, but wondered what you all thought before I think about processing them and other things I could perhaps do.

3868700630_9627f4c566_o.jpg

Thanks for your comments.

Last edited:
Hi Sara. I cant quite make up my mind on this one. On the one hand, the colour and detail you have captured is excellent, particularly the eyes. I like the background being black as this focuses the attention entirely on the subject. On the other hand, however, I think the composition could be better. It just seems to unsettle my eye because the body is just "hanging there" with no context to put it in.

It's hard to put in to words and I dont think I have explained it as well as I could. Maybe having something of whatever the dragon was perched on would make it a more balanced and relaxing image on the eye. :thinking:

Hi Sara, that is a cracker of a shot, loving the angle and the darkness (y)

Thanks for your comments Nigpd - I didn't really think of the composition on this as I just wanted to get fairly close up! Hadn't thought about what you said though (y)

Cheers Alby - Appreciate your comments (y)

Decided to carry on with this processing and took on board the comment above from nigpd. Hope this added pic, although not as close has some context to it.

Would welcome your comments on this flash experimentation with the dragons (y)

3872038542_bacd533619_o.jpg

I love the black background - really helps to bring out all the detail you have captured (y)

I much prefer the second shot :) Excellent colour and detail, and I think the dark background works very well.

How did you have the flash set up?

the 2nd shot is defiantly the better of the 2.

I much prefer the second shot :) Excellent colour and detail, and I think the dark background works very well.

How did you have the flash set up?

Thanks Tempest (y). The flash was set to manual and probably at about 1/4 to 1/8 power.

the 2nd shot is defiantly the better of the 2.

Appreciate you taking the time BigD - Cheers(y)

how do you clear the superglue of it's legs once you've finished shooting it :LOL: - i've never yet been able to get that close to take anything as detailed - hence the supergluing to branch :D

lovely photos

Gary

after looking at others macro shots and re looked at mine, ive decided that random drug tests needs to be done on some of the rest of you lots subjects, im sure your spraying them with some sleep spray to make em docile :)

anyway enough of my jealous rambling, loving the 2nd shot

Thanks for your comments guys- I can assure you no dragons were harmed during this shoot - they seemed to come round from the gassing absolutely fine!!!

The detail is excellent and the eyes are also very nicely captured. I also agree that the black background helps a lot. My suggestion would be though, to try two things:
1. Try a different angle (maybe a straight on one, if thats possible)
2. Try to crop it closer in order to just have the head and the eyes and much less of the body, since the eyes are the main interest and the detail on them is great.

Back