Macro extension tubes

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey people just wondered if anyone could answer this for me.
Im thinking of buying some Macro extension tubes, the very very cheap ones.
Im aware that its manual and has no electrical contact which is fine for what I want. What I was wondering it what will the apeture be?
If i was to use my 50mm F1.8 what would it be:
Will it be wide open like F1.8
or closed down like F22?

I shoot with a Sony A77 so unlike the Canon i dont think using the DOF button does anything but ill try when I get them

Thanks for the quick reply. That is what i thought but after watching a video on youtube, which is clearly missleading I was getting confused. Thanks for that :)

Agree with POAH, got some myself can't keep hands steady enough to get a decent shot

Im gonna get some as there only £9 so its worth a try for now as I cant afford another lens just at the minute. The wife would kill me :)
Dont think ill end up using the fifty though, not at 1.8. As much as I dont like to use my cheap Tamron i suppose ill have to have a go with that one.
thanks guys

Get cheap ones with electrical contacts

I have manual and AF tubes. I sincerely advise you to get the AF ones as you can use them in lenses without aperture rings and it won't stop your lens down to it's minimum aperture.

Just adding my twopennyworth to this... manual tubes for EOS are cack. Yes you can fool the lens into stopping down by arcane combinations of half-depressing the shutter release and then removing the lens, adding the tube and clagging it back on the camera, whilst simultaneously bearing your left nipple and hopping in an anticlockwise direction then fully depressing the shutter release... but by the time you've done that, the flower you were hoping to photograph has died...

Last edited:
Must confess I have not got on with the manual extension tubes.

Just adding my twopennyworth to this... manual tubes for EOS are cack. Yes you can fool the lens into stopping down by arcane combinations of half-depressing the shutter release and then removing the lens, adding the tube and clagging it back on the camera, whilst simultaneously bearing your left nipple and hopping in an anticlockwise direction then fully depressing the shutter release... but by the time you've done that, the flower you were hoping to photograph has died...

Ha Brilliant :LOL:

Just set the aperture, hold the DoF button, remove the lens, add tubes and attach to camera. You'll need to do it again if you want to change it. Works fine for me and I've had some great shots. Problem is setting to a small aperture requires plenty of light to focus and off camera flash to get the light past the end of the lens. I'm thinking of getting an af set now I've used the cheap set. If you don't know if you'll like it £7 is a very cheap way of finding out first :)

I've seen some of the AF sets going for around £50 on ebay, so it might be better saving up for a few weeks and getting them,rather than buying a cheap set and getting the macro bug and buying an AF set in the future. Buy once, buy wise.

Just set the aperture, hold the DoF button, remove the lens, add tubes and attach to camera. You'll need to do it again if you want to change it. Works fine for me and I've had some great shots. Problem is setting to a small aperture requires plenty of light to focus and off camera flash to get the light past the end of the lens. I'm thinking of getting an af set now I've used the cheap set. If you don't know if you'll like it £7 is a very cheap way of finding out first :)

Which camera is this with Andy?
I believe this works with Canon, however I have a Sony A77

yawny said:
Any advice people....am i doing something wrong as my lens is not wide open as first suggested. It is closed down?

Well it could easily be that your Sony behaves differently to the Canon for sure.... f/22 for macro... got any 500 watt halogen lamps for lighting? :)

Back