Macro film scanning lens

Name
Patrikas
Edit My Images
No
Hey, guys, looking for some advice in macro lenses. I am scanning 35mm film with my Nikon D750 and the usual DSLR film scanning setup - tripod, LED table, film scanning mask as many Youtube videos on this topic suggest. However, the only F-mount lenses that I own are Nikkor 50mm 1.8G and Tamron 24-70 2.8 G2, obviously, not macro lenses by any standards. So far I've been using extension tubes, but, if I get quite really close with both of the lenses, most of the shots turn out unsatisfactory - chromatic aberrations, loss of sharpness at the edges is quite nasty. If I move further away, the overall look gets a tad better, however, I only get a 5-6 megapixel file instead of 24 that the sensor offers.
Any suggestions on a cheap lens that would get the job done and be sharp? Absolutely requirements besides that - does not have to have autofocus nor large aperture, as I am not planning to use it for any other purposes than scanning film, where manual focus is a must. Furthermore, could be of a different mount connected via an adaptor or use extension tubes, if you suggest that particular setup produces great results. I am returning the extension tubes that I own anyway, as they cost over 60 pounds and I certainly do not need functioning autofocus and will be setting the aperture by the DOF button or manually. All in all, I am looking to spend less than 150 pounds, as it can be a really old lens. Any suggestions or comments will help.
Thank you!

Can't really find any reviews on this, plus reviews on macro filters are worse than on extension tubes, I am not really sure if this is a safe option.

Hah, yes, I see. I've looked at Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 AI - it can go for as low as 50 pounds and does a 1:2 macro ratio, up to a 1:1 with an extension tube, but again, I'm cautious of extension tubes:confused:

Extension tubes cannot cause lens aberrations as all they contain is air. If you're seeing aberrations as a result of using tubes then it's because you're using that lens out of its 'comfort zone'. The old 55mm f3.5 is designed for close-up use so its performance should not deteriorate when used with extension tubes. However, the ideal lens for what you're doing is the 60mm f2.8 because of its flat field.

Even high quality lenses can exhibit some edge softness when used at high magnification (as with tube usage) and this is down to some degree of field curvature with is not an issue at the lens' designed minimum focus distance. Macro lenses normally offer a very flat field and this is where you should be looking for high magnification, 2d subjects.

I use a 50mm Componon enlarging lens on bellows for copying film. Works well and cost me £20. An example originally taken with an Eos 100 in 1994...

View along Exe from Exwick Eos 100 1996-14_ 17.jpg

Extension tubes cannot cause lens aberrations as all they contain is air. If you're seeing aberrations as a result of using tubes then it's because you're using that lens out of its 'comfort zone'. The old 55mm f3.5 is designed for close-up use so its performance should not deteriorate when used with extension tubes. However, the ideal lens for what you're doing is the 60mm f2.8 because of its flat field.
Thank you, I've done some research, the 60mm seems like an ideal option. I'll see if I want to save some money and go for the 55 f3.5 with the PK-13.

An older Tamron 90mm macro might be a cheap option. Have a look at the second hand dealers' web sites to see what's available.

An older Tamron 90mm macro might be a cheap option. Have a look at the second hand dealers' web sites to see what's available.
Thank you, the prices are really similar to the Nikkor 60mm f/2.8 AF and Tokina 100mm f/2.8, but I've read that older Tamrons are not as sharp.

Thank you, the prices are really similar to the Nikkor 60mm f/2.8 AF and Tokina 100mm f/2.8, but I've read that older Tamrons are not as sharp.
@tarpininkas Hi

How did you get one?

Looking at doing something similar.

Thank you

Back