Beginner Macro help

Name
Jack
Edit My Images
Yes
My raynox dcr 250 came through today and I'm using it in a Tamron 70-300mm vc but really struggling to get it focus properly

Anyone got any tips to help please do I need to set my lens to 300mm then Try and focus? Really low dof also so sometimes I'll get a little in focus but the rest of the subject with be out of focus,

Welcome to the wonderful world of macro.

Manual focus. Set to 300mm and focus by moving slightly back and forth. Try different focus settings from minimum to infinity.

DOF is very thin. Use a small aperture.

A well diffused flash makes life a lot easier.

Above all, it takes practice.

Good luck.

At this magnification people tend to use manual focus, you need to use a very high f-number to increase the depth of field and also you need to use a high shutter speed as any movement is magnified too. Naturally with a high f-number and fast shutter speed you need a lot of light - this is why most people use flash systems with their macro photography.

Use manual focus.
Use f11 or smaller.
Set your camera to manual mode.
Use flash (but you might need to use something to diffuse it - homemade ones using Pringles tubes work well as they can be used to direct the flash to the subject).
Adjust shutter speed / ISO / flash power until you get the exposure you want.
Rock back and forwards to get focus.

Last edited:
Only way to get in all in focus is to focus stack, it's fun have a go, the EM10II users have it good they have focus bracketing....GRRRR

Use manual focus.
Use f11 or smaller.
Set your camera to manual mode.
Use flash (but you might need to use something to diffuse it - homemade ones using prince tunes work well as they can be used to direct the flash to the subject).
Adjust shutter speed / ISO / flash power until you get the exposure you want.
Rock back and forwards to get focus.

I think that should read Pringles tube :D

Haha some great advice thanks great idea with pringles tube I'll be out to get some tomorrow

Spent about 2 hours today trying and trying and trying got about 2 half decent photos lol, more practice will come

Didn't know you could change the power of the flash?

Didn't know you could change the power of the flash?

Simplistically you can just use the flash exposure compensation feature, or you could put it in manual mode.

With macro you really need to be thinking about focal planes and when they are as narrow as you have you need to be very very careful.

I use the 70-300mm tamron LD (with the 1:2 macro feature) and the raynox 250.

f/22, ISO 1000, and 1/100 (or faster depending on the subject) works well for me.

Try the raynox with the lens just at 70mm first, get the hang of it at a lower magnification before you go higher, because it gets harder to focus the higher your magnification.
when you're competant with focusing whilst at 70mm, go up to 100mm, and so on.

Follow what others have said with regards to manual focus and rocking back and forth, it's the best method (IMO).
Good luck and most importantly, have fun with it. You'll find new worlds in macro!

Back