Macro Info

ppp

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, where can i find all i need to know about MAcro, does anyone know a website with a dummies guide typr approach?

I am very confused between macro prime lenses and zoom macro lenses and proper 1:1 macro lenses and everything else.

Thanks

Short version...

There's no such thing as a macro zoom lens. The 'macro' setting on some zoom lenses just moves all the elements of the lens forward to give a closer focusing distance than you'd normally get, so the word 'macro' is confusing and I'm amazed the manufacturers have got away with using it for so long. You get nowhere near 1:1 reproduction but you can get some good closeups and it's quite a desirable feature to have in a lens anyway.

A true macro lens produces a life sized image (1:1) on the film or sensor of that fly or bug, so the potential for detail in big enlargements is obvious. Some macro lenses produce 1:1 images max and some will exceed that. Strictly speaking, macro images are 1:1 reproduction.. period. Anything larger should be referred to as micro photography, but that's beng a bit pedantic. ;)

A true macro lens is always a fixed focal length or prime. Hope that helps mate? Sing out if not.

Sonsey, had already read the great info from Hacker but wanted to clarify more about the lenses themselves as well but still learnt a heck of a lot from hacker

cool CT mate, that clears 99.999999% of it up in one easy paragraph! I love this fourm. thank you.

now to save the pennies...

I notice you've got a zoom already, why not try a diopter like the Canon 500D or Nikon 5T/6T, I know I mentioned it in the article but they really are a great way to get started without a huge outlay, they come in various thread sizes so you should be able to get one that fits. I got my 500D off ebay.

Back