Macro lens advice

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
No
In the next couple of months I'll possibly look into buying a macro lens for my D800.
Now i don't really have too much of a clue about these as far as the lens is concerned since it will be a new genre for me, but I'm looking for advice on a lens plus any additional bits i might need.
Im not looking into spending a fortune since my boiler at home has decided to eat its way into my savings, neverthless any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Neil

Consider a decent MF prime with a close focusing distance and add some tubes. I think Nikon did a micro (read macro) 55mm (3.5 I think) Ai-s mount so will work fine on your D800. Think it was supplied with extension rings. Bellows can be had for a modest fee too. Old school but it works and on a budget.

MP-65 is for Canon.

There'a few excellent bang for buck macro lenses out there.

Sigma 105 or 150
Tamron 90
Mine - Tokina 100.

You can't go wrong with any really.

Depending on the sort of subjects you intend to shoot, I'd recommend a flash and diffusion of some sort.

We needto know what you intend to use it for really.

That nikon will be superb, but almost impossible to use for insects.

We needto know what you intend to use it for really.

Yup. There's lots of good macro lenses and of course they can be used for non macro stuff too so the subject, the distsnce to subject and any other uses will affect the focal length required.

I used to have an excellent Sigma 150mm and now have on old film era 50mm, each have their uses but they're very different lenses.

As said some of the 50mm ish macros come with tubes to increase the focal length. 50's are cheap and plentyful.

Raynox close up lenses are another relatively cheap option if you have a few lenses already.

No one has mentioned the Nikkor AF-S VR Micro 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED lens yet, so I will. I have had the earlier none VR version for some years and it's a very decent lens. Good for portraits as well as macro which is in its favour. It's pricey at about £600 but, as with most things, you get what you pay for.

Back