Macro lens - Focal lenth

Name
Erik
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a Nikon D300S. I would like to buy a macro lens for taking really close up photoes of flowers. What lens would any of you recommend. These lenses are on my "wishlist" but I can not decide which one:

Nikon 85 mm f 3,5 VR
Nikon 60 mm f 2,8
Tamron 60 mm f 2,0

If its for flowers then I would go for the Nikon 60 f2.8 but if you start shooting insects then you ll need a longer focal lenght so in this case I ll say the 85 will be the way to go. I myself have the 105 f2.8 and its brilliant lens

Thank you architectfadi. You have got some very good pictures.

Have a look at this review page and note the different effects of varying focal length on background blur some way down the page - http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-100mm-f-2.8-USM-Macro-Lens-Review.aspx. As hinted above, if your subject is likely to get scared off a longer focal length will be advantageous. On the downside, the longer the focal length the greater the risk of camera shake, increasing the need for a tripod or flash. There are pros and cons in both directions.

Thank you for the nice comment. I have to agree with Tim that the longer the focal lenght the greater the risk of camera shake. The 85 and the 100 both have VR which helps in this case but I find the doing macro is much easier with a tripod, having said that I dont have my tripod with me all the time :bang:

Tamron SP 90mm/f2.8 is an excellent macro lens - fast, sharp and nice colours

I have read some quite good reviews about the Tamron 90 mm. Some reviews says the lens focuses very slow and hunts quite often, but the picture qualiry is very good.

The longer focal lengths allow you to get slightly further away from the subject, especially useful when shooting insects.

Back