Macro lens for 40D

Name
Martyn
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello everyone. one of my fascinations is all things small (creatures and plants that is) i have just started using a canon 40D and would like some advice on a suitable lens for macro. after taking lots of pics of tiny underwater creatures on macro i'd like to have a go on dry land....

Hi scubataff, the 100mm Canon Macro is really good for the money, it's f2.8, but if you want lifesize or greater then try the MPE 65, hope that helps

Hello everyone. one of my fascinations is all things small (creatures and plants that is) i have just started using a canon 40D and would like some advice on a suitable lens for macro. after taking lots of pics of tiny underwater creatures on macro i'd like to have a go on dry land....

Any macro lens from the main suppliers is ideal, I personally like the tamron 90 where as the wife uses a sigma 70. Regards

Graham

Hi scubataff, the 100mm Canon Macro is really good for the money, it's f2.8, but if you want lifesize or greater then try the MPE 65, hope that helps

had a look at the canon 100mm, looks good and not an over the top price.. cant find anything opn the MPE65, who's it by?

edit... ok found the MPE-65... bit over what i want to spend at mo..

There was a 100mm f2.8 Canon macro on here the other day wanted £110 I think

The Sigma 105mm is a cracking Macro lens

:agree: slow as a 3 legged tortoise to focus (compared to a USM lens), but a great Macro lens.
I've had one for years.

The Sigma 105mm is a cracking Macro lens

Again a good lens at its price i think...
ok so there are a few there to chose from so another question.. everyone seems to be name 70+ sizes, whats the benifit of those sizes that have been mentioned over some of the available 50mm F2.5's for example (seen a couple reasonable priced canon and sigma at that size)

They give more stand off, in other words you can be slighly further away from the subject, which is handy if your after skittish subjects(y)

Again a good lens at its price i think...
ok so there are a few there to chose from so another question.. everyone seems to be name 70+ sizes, whats the benifit of those sizes that have been mentioned over some of the available 50mm F2.5's for example (seen a couple reasonable priced canon and sigma at that size)

ok, thanks everyone, more than helpful as usual... looking at my budget of around 300 it's a toss up between the Tamron 90 and Sigma 105 i think

I should think the 105 better, as it'll allow you to be just that little bit further away from your subject.

my only concern with that one was the comment from oldgit on it taking a long time to focus?

Most macro lens are slow to focus by design, and most macro shooters focus manually.
Another vote for the 100mm canon macro or the 150mm sigma.

Phil

Very good review of the Canon 100 2.8 here

I did ask kerso a few weeks back and I think it was £270/280, and you still get the cash back. I'll be ordering at the end of the month (wonder if he does bulk discount :LOL:)

Very good review of the Canon 100 2.8 here

I did ask kerso a few weeks back and I think it was £270/280, and you still get the cash back. I'll be ordering at the end of the month (wonder if he does bulk discount :LOL:)

??? who's Kerso. thats an excellent price....

ok guys ive just mailed him a request for price ect, keep watching and i'll post the latest price as soon as he replies

Yup ive the Canon 100mm Macro to. BIG thumbs up to it. You wont regret it scubataff

Had the same dilema for weeks. Yesterday I got the Sigma 105. Best decision I made.

SB

i have just bought my 100mm off craigdouglas from here yesterday, i've been wanting a macro for aaaages, had a play with craigs yesterday on the newcastle meet, thought about it for 10 minutes then bought it off him there and then, it's a cracking lens.

Looks like you've got plenty of advice here, I will add the tamron 90, sigma 105 and canon 100 are all great macro lenses and I can't see much between them so just take your pick.
I too have the sigma ;)

when doing macro work, it's adviseable to manual focus anyway, so i think focussing speed is irrelevant, even the canon is slow at close up focus anyway, though good for distance (non macro).

Back