Macro Lens for Canon 7d mkii

Name
Alex
Edit My Images
No
I'm looking for a macro lens for my Canon 7d mkii (having switched from a sony system a couple of months ago) - I mainly do butterflies and dragonflies but do very occasionally venture to smaller things! (As well reptiles too). I'm looking at second hand lenses mainly, I was just wondering which you guys thought was best for the purpose and/or the best value for money. (The latter being particularly important living on a student budget!)

Prices below are just approximates for what these lenses have been going for second-hand recently...

Sigma 70mm f/2.8 ~ £150-200
Sigma 105mm f/2.8 (non OS) ~ £200
Sigma 105mm f/2.8 OS ~ £300
Sigma 150mm f/2.8 (non OS) ~ £275-315

Tamron 90mm f/2.8 ~ £200
Tokina 100mm f/2.8 ~ £250

Canon 100mm f/2.8 (non IS) ~ £290-320

Cheers

Alex

My absolute favourite was the sigma 150mm 2.8, I've had 105 NON OS, 70, and Canon 100mm 2.8. The 70mm was sharpest but slowest from the ones I've had, the 150mm gives great range and same price as the Canon 100mm, the focusing speed and sharpness seemed pretty much the same to me.

Sigma 105 2.8 os has been the best VFM lens i have purchased in a very long time, it also takes a 1.4 extender well with very little loss in image quality.

I'm looking for a macro lens for my Canon 7d mkii (having switched from a sony system a couple of months ago)... living on a student budget!
Crikey. Student budgets aren't what they were in my day.

Anyway you don't mention the Sigma 150mm f/2.8 OS, which would be my choice given your requirements. Perhaps it's a bit pricey, even for a student budget. But otherwise I'd suggest it's a toss up between the Sigma 105mm OS and the 150mm non-OS. For small insects in the wild, increased focal length is handy, but you can crop; and OS is handy, but you can increase your shutter speed by increasing the ISO.

Last edited:
I have the Sigma 150mm f/2.8 (non OS) - great quality, useful extra reach - particularly good for dragonflies.
Downside is that it's just a bit on the heavy side.

2 other lenses to possibly consider are:

Canon EFS 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Lens
Tamron SP 60mm f/2 Di II LD IF 1:1 Macro Lens

Both very sharp and a lot lighter to hold.

theres a few old 180mm sigma macros, ive got 2... no stabilisation but my a77ii has that in body :). longer gives you working distance, but gets harder to use/get decent results

For what you are planning to do with Butterflies and smaller things I would go to the 90 - 105mm range and a 1.4x TC for when you need a little more reach and a boost in magnification.

All manufacturers Macro lenses are superb and sharp... I preferred the Sigma over the Tamron but that might just be me.

For the sharpest of all a Venus 60mm manual lens is the best ;) but wont use the AF system on your 7d mk II.

For the sharpest of all a Venus 60mm manual lens is the best ;) but wont use the AF system on your 7d mk II.

If you are prepared to wait about nine months for the bloody thing to be delivered:D

Seriously tho, the lack of AF ain't no loss for proper Macro stuff anyhow.

For what you are planning to do with Butterflies and smaller things I would go to the 90 - 105mm range and a 1.4x TC for when you need a little more reach and a boost in magnification.

All manufacturers Macro lenses are superb and sharp... I preferred the Sigma over the Tamron but that might just be me.

Yes Bryn is right 100mm is perfect for ease of use
i have got the Sigma 150 non OS macro but I find it tricky to handhold but it is good on a tripod
most of the time i use my Canon 100mm or Sigma 105 for insects

If you want to shoot reptiles, and I assume snakes too, a longer focal length would be more beneficial. Mainly to avoid disturbing them, but also for you own safety ;)

You can't control the light so easily at longer focal lengths, but finding cloudy days shouldn't be a problem. As a student, you may not be enamoured of early mornings, but it will be worth the effort.

The short focal lengths are better for extreme close-ups, and for using flash. I think the focal length tends to dictate the type of shots you can get, although these can be modified with various adapters). Based on what you've highlighted above, I'd go for the siggy 150. It will throw the background out nicely on your butterfly and dragonfly shots, give you sufficient distance for reptiles and snakes. You'll struggle with flash-based shots of bug close-ups but you can always try reversing your existing lenses or adding extension tubes until your budget recovers.. Alternatively a 100mm lens would be a good compromise for both situations.

Sorry not tried any of the listed lenses, but I haven't heard of any stinkers in that bunch. Dedicated macro lenses are well regarded in general.

If you can raise up the funds then a 300/4 is excellent for dragons and butterflies as you only need about 1/3 life size maximum on a crop sensor. I realise that it's more than your budget but you may have something to set against it if it also fills your telephoto needs.

Bob

If you can raise up the funds then a 300/4 is excellent for dragons and butterflies as you only need about 1/3 life size maximum on a crop sensor. I realise that it's more than your budget but you may have something to set against it if it also fills your telephoto needs.

Bob
Agreed, and sticking an extension tube on it will get you closer too (you'll lose infinity focus). A good prime will work well here (you may even have one already).

Bob

I suspect there may be a few on the second hand market if the 100-400mm mk2 becomes popular.

Using a 25mm extension tube on this lens also helps a great by reducing the closest focus to around 1.2m and boosting the mag.

Back