Macro lens Fuji fit

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

I fancy a cheap foray into the world of macro.

Has anyone got the TTartisans 40mm macro? What alternatives are there?

Fuji X fit.

Cheers

I suggest you change the title to include it is Fuji X fit.

But look a Laowa https://www.venuslens.net/

Last edited:
I fancy a cheap foray into the world of macro.

There’s no such thing! ;)

Joking aside, the Laowa range of macro lenses are excellent for the money.

The Raynox DCR-250 Macro Attachment lens are also popular.

Maybe also have a look into lens reversing adaptors, if it’s possible on your camera and lens tubes. All cheap ways of starting out in macro.

Last edited:
The cheapest way could be a manual film era lens and a dumb adapter.

I bought a film era Sigma 50mm f2.8 1:1 macro and use it on MFT giving a 100mm FoV and my Sony A7 where it's just 50mm :D Macro is usually manual focus so using a manual lens is maybe no biggie.

Generally I like longer lenses for this for the perspective and find the Sigma 50mm better on 2x crop MFT than on the FF A7.

Just thought I'd resurrect this rather than start a new thread......

I've been wanting to try macro for a while and am looking for a cheaper way of doing it with my XT3. Just from your replies above, I have a few questions and wouldn't mind your thoughts on the below choices.....

Looking at the cheaper options first..

Raynox DCR 250.....when you say it's harder to use on a lens that changes length, is that something to do with the optics, or is it just because the filter is a bit fiddly with moving parts? The adapter goes up to 67mm, but the only fixed lens I have is the 85mm Viltrox, which takes a 72mm filter, so won't fit. I've got a sigma 16-50mm and fuji 70-300mm that will fit in terms of filter size, so could I potentially use one of those? Or are there any other options similar to the Raynox?

Extension tubes......I'm in no mans land here and sets seem to range in price. Would this be a better option than the Raynox and can anyone recommend a decent cheapish set?

Vintage lenses.......does anyone have any recommendations here? The Canon 50mm FD macro and Tokina 90mm have been mentioned on other forums as decent lenses. Adapters vary in price too, what are the differences between a cheaper and more expensive set? Any recommendations?

Then looking at lenses themselves in rough price order......
Pergear 60mm
7artisans60mm
Meike 60mm
Astrhori 25mm
Fuji 60mm (used)
Laowa 65mm

Does anyone have any experience using any of the above? From what I've read the Laowa seems the best choice in terms of quality, but is at the top end of my budget and I'm not sure about spending that much given that I'm new to macro.

The Fuji is tempting as it seems like the more versatile.

The Astrhori seems crazy, has x2-x5 magnification, but can't be used for anything else.

The Pergear/7artisans/Meike seem OK in the centre, but potentially softer in the corners from reading reviews. They'll still likely be sharp enough for me though.

Does anyone have experience with any of these lenses or recommendations on what to go with?

Cheers,

Steve

I have the Fuji 60 mm, it's not a true macro in that it only goes to .5 X rather than 1:1, it's not the fastest to focus but it's not too bad.
Its sharp and is OK for close ups but not bugs and similar., hunts a bit close up
You can get 1:1 with extn tubes but I found it difficult because of the working distance with tubes. Treat it as a shortish telephoto which takes good close ups and head shots and it's not bad at all , not all that expensive used

Ah - good spot, thank you!

I didn't realise it was only .5x. I'll probably cross that one off the list then seeing as I'm looking for something at least 1:1

Could I use step down rings to make the Raynox work on my Viltrox lens? That'd only be one ring, so I'm assuming you wouldn't see the rings like a mechanical vignette as the 85mm would be quite a narrow field of view?

Could I use step down rings to make the Raynox work on my Viltrox lens? That'd only be one ring, so I'm assuming you wouldn't see the rings like a mechanical vignette as the 85mm would be quite a narrow field of view?
I was thinking that might be your best bet but I don't know for sure you won't get vignetting. Cheap enough to try perhaps?

I use a Raynox with old lenses, Helios 44 or Olympus Zuiko 135mm, with suitable adapters. I also use a Nikon mount Tokina 100mm macro with adapter.

I've just held a ruler against the front of the lens and edged it in until I could start to see it in the frame. It was fine until about 2.5cm, so I guess step down rings will be ok seeing as they're only a few mm and the Raynox would be my easiest entry point? That's if I'm using the 85mm instead of my other lenses.

The Raynox site says it's best used at the maximum telephoto point of your zoom lens though, so it sounds like it's OK to use with a zoom. Would using it at 300mm be ridiculous? This'd leave me with the Sigma at 50mm, or the Viltrox with rings at 85mm. Would 50mm be a more manageable focal length than 85mm for a beginner to macro?

Back