Macro lens recommendations (Nikon)

Name
Spencer
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

My wife is showing a strong interest in doing some macro work - so I thought I would treat her to a lens to help her out....

However, she has a Nikon D40 so it will need if possible to have autofocus in the lens, and I think to get max DoF effects it needs to be relatively fast.

She's interested in flower shots - so I was thinking something around the 60mm focal length mark....

Any recommendations? Budget around £200-£250 max....

TIA!

If you want to have auto-focus then you will need to look at either Nikon AF-S or Sigma HSM lenses, otherwise she'll lose the autofocus.

With that said, when shooting macro it is best to not autofocus since the DoF is so small and best controlled via manual focus! :shrug:

That aside, the Nikon AF-S 60 Macro, which is within that price bracket is an excellent lens if shooting flowers. I would also suggest a look at extension tubes as they give a huge magnification and can be used with a 50mm.

Macro lenses that will autofocus with the D40;

Nikon 60mm AF-S f2.8
Nikon 105mm AF-S f2.8
Sigma 150mm HSM f2.8
Sigma 180mm HSM f2.8

All of them are equally competent. However if its mainly for flowers I would lean towards the shorter end and go for the 60mm. If she wants to do insects as well then looks at the longer end such as the 150mm that I use. :)

No insects the wife hates them!! Although I could use the lens too... if I ever get a look in!!!

Macro is not something I have ever been into or got interested in, so I have absolutely NO idea!!!

Thanks for the replies!!

I've recently purchased a Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 HSM Macro. So far so good!

I've recently purchased a Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 HSM Macro. So far so good!

Not a true macro lens though. I wish manufacturers would stop confusing people by adding 'Macro' to lens names when they are not. A macro lens is one that can do magnifiaction of 1:1 or more.

Back