Macro lens 'upgrade'?

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
I currently have a Canon EF 100 f2.8 USM Macro which i'm very happy with both as a macro lens and also as a general walkabout/portrait.
It's maybe the only lens i own that i'm really 100% happy with in terms of IQ and sharpness.
I've probably already answered my own question with the above statements, but got that 'itch' and a few spare £££'s so was thinking would the Canon 100 f2.8 IS or the Sigma OS 150mm be much of an upgrade?
I've read lots and lots regarding the IS 100, both reviews and owners opinions, but not much regarding the Sigma 150mm.
Has anyone gone from the 100mm non IS to the IS or the Sigma?

All macros are very sharp, and you've listed some of the best. You'll need to go pixel-peeping in the corners at f/2.8 to spot even small differences in image quality terms.

However, if you're struggling with camera-shake then image stabilisation is very helpful. It's less effective with macro but still one or two stops benefit can make a big difference. Then the Sigma 150/2.8 OS is of course a longer focal length, if you need more macro working distance.

But since you've not mentioned either of those things, it sounds more like a GAS attack. Nothing wrong with that, but personally I'd get something completely different to scratch that particular itch.

Camera shake is something that i've not noticed (yet), but my hands aren't the steadiest anymore so it's certainly something to consider as i'm not getting any younger (41)!
I've got most focal lenghts covered from 17-40 to 24-105 to 70-200 plus x2 TC and also the macro. I'd love a 2.8 300mm but that's just a pipe dream atm!!:LOL:
I think it probably is a case of GAS! I'm not used to having money in the bank! :)

what a bout the famous ef 135 f2 I bought one of these a few weeks ago and must say what a lens

How about just buying a 2x TC? For your macro lens.

Do you really need f2.8 for your macro work?

Camera shake is something that i've not noticed (yet), but my hands aren't the steadiest anymore so it's certainly something to consider as i'm not getting any younger (41)!
I've got most focal lenghts covered from 17-40 to 24-105 to 70-200 plus x2 TC and also the macro. I'd love a 2.8 300mm but that's just a pipe dream atm!!:LOL:
I think it probably is a case of GAS! I'm not used to having money in the bank! :)

How about just buying a 2x TC? For your macro lens.

Do you really need f2.8 for your macro work?

The Canon MPE-65 2.8. is the way to go for a true dedicated Macro lens. It's use for nothing else other than Macro, it has only one function Macro, Macro, Macro, Macro, Macro and Macro.

Ok but you haven't stated what model TC it is if its a canon one (upto mk III) I don't think the macro 100mm fits it or is supported. Sorry my mind reading powers seem to elude me at the important moments.

So if its a 3rd party all well and good and you simply dont need a 150/180mm macro lens.

IMHO there's nothing to choose between the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro and the EF 100m f/2.8L IS Macro in terms of image sharpness. The IS is useful of course.

Back