Macro Lens Which one ?

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
No
Hi all

am hoping to start doing a bit of macro with my D90

but have not a clue on which lens to choose as me being a totall novice at it but willing to learn

I already have the 18 105 vr that came with it and a 50mm f1.8 but that's it

so any help in choosing one would be great

thanks all

Hi, Don't know about the D90 but I have just got a Tamron SP 90mm Di to use with my Sony and all I can say is it is hellova lens take a look at my Flickr for the results I am getting even as a nooooooooooob. Ian

Only the ones I have stated as cropped maybe 3 or 4 of them

tokina, tamron both do very good macros...the 90mm is very popular, but might worth while having a lok at the tokina 100mm tokina are cheaper i think

cheers guys for all the usefull info

plenty to ponder over for now

will check out a few on diff sites today and make my mind up

thanks again

TT

I do not know what your budget is but also look at the nikon micro 105 2.8 vr an absolutely awesome lens. I got one the other week and can not believe how sharp it is.

Tamron 90mm, Tokina 100mm and Sigma 105mm F2.8 are all fantastic macro lenses. Of the 3 the Tamron has the slightest of edges but there's not much in it. The Nikon 105mm is better still but twice the price.

You won't go wrong with any of those lenses, so I'd buy whichever you see at a good price.

I have the Sigma 150mm 2.8 and I can highly recommend it for both macro and general work. The benefit this lens for bugs etc is that you get a good working distance (about 13 inches).

I used to have the Sigma 105/2.8 (Pentax mount) and it's an excellent lens optically. I can easily recommend it. Didn't like the noise it made during AF, but not a major problem. I sold it off a couple of months ago to fund a new long zoom, and I already regret it.

Someone once told me that "There are no really bad macro lenses". Don't know how far that statement is true.

I bought a 55mm f2.8 AIS lens off PuddleDuck and love it!! Not that expensive with great results (in my mind)

3654594012_1280aa42cc_o.jpg

Obviously with all the other camera swapping going on on this forum, I'd be lax if I didn't suggest a switch to Canon for the MP-E65 lens plus the MT-24Ex Flash.

I don't think Nikon has the equivilant.

Don't overlook manual focus macro lenses, most macro is done manually and there are some amazing manual focus macro lenses about.

Consider the Nikkor 55mm f/2.8 AI-S (about £130-£150 mint on Ebay) or a Tamron 90mm f/2.5 or f/2.8. The Sigma 90mm f/2.8 AI-S is also excellent. Or - if you can find one a Kiron 105mm f/2.8 (huge, heavy, stunning optics)

Obviously with all the other camera swapping going on on this forum, I'd be lax if I didn't suggest a switch to Canon for the MP-E65 lens plus the MT-24Ex Flash.

I don't think Nikon has the equivilant.

You are correct, no nikon equivilant...

If I took macro seriously, I would be buying a canon body and the mpe65... maybe later ;)

Brilliant stuff guys

Head hurts now trying to take it all in ......

so it's off to flebay for a look and see if any thing takes me fancy

thanks again (y)

TT

If you are just getting into macro, get one of the AIS lenses, a good way to get started and rather cheap on ebay.

cheers pd

am watching a few at the moment on ebay

there's one not far from me so might email them to see if i can try before i buy ;)

thanks again to all

TT

I have a macro front lens for my tamron and it's okay, for the price, but the edges are hugely warped

my macro lens, 105mm sigma that I used to have was pretty good, at 1:1 scale.
the huge manual focus wheel was very helpful....sigma's are not quiet though and they do like their extended range lock
price vs performance though was very good

Back