Macro Lens?!

Name
Daniel
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

Just been looking at some of the truly stunning Insect macro pictures and was wonderring what kind of lens can get that level of detail, colour, zoom and sharpness?!

I have a 7D and open to all suggestions...

Truly brilliant...

Dan

What is your budget ?

Thanks Everyone.

I like the reviews that the 100mm F2.8 cannon gets, and I also think it will serve me well for some portrait Pool photography.

Thanks again!

Dan

lancsoatcake said:
Thanks Everyone.

I like the reviews that the 100mm F2.8 cannon gets, and I also think it will serve me well for some portrait Pool photography.

Thanks again!

Dan

Good choice especially if you are just starting out with macro.

It's hard to go wrong with macro lenses - the 3rd party ones tend to be every bit as good as the OEM ones. The Vivitar/Cosina 90mm, a famously cheap (build and price) lens is a particular example. I use an old pre-EX Sigma 90mm.

The main considerations are whether it's a true 1:1 macro (some are only a 2:1, so can't get as close without extension tubes) and the focal length - skittish subjects might be best with a 150mm to 180mm, whereas coins and products will be fine with a 50mm.

Extension tubes work with regular lenses too, though they may show up a lens with a less that perfectly flat plane of focus.

Thanks Everyone.

Thanks again!

Dan

I have seen Zack Arias using the 100mm for portraits. Another option could be the 60mm F2.8, as its lighter and easier to handle, altought would only work on EF-S cameras.

The Canon 100 macro is a good choice Dan. Another good thing is the special macro AI servo mode on the 7D which only works with Canon macro lenses from what I read.
BTW the difference in working distance at 1:1 between the Canon 100mm and the Sigma 150mm is only 1.6" (7.6" v 6.0").

Last edited:
I used to have a Sigma 150mm 2.8 when I was shooting Canon. Now that was a nice lens.

Back