Macro Lens

If you get the 100mm IS version and use it on a tripod then turn OFF the IS as well as the AF as the motor movements as tiny and smooth as they are can introduce unwanted movement into an otherwise stable setup. Not noticeable in 'normal' images but could be the difference between a keeper and a trash image in macro work.

That's a good tip, Mark. But I think that the Canon 70D automatically switches off the IS when mounted on a tripod - Not sure of my facts in detail but am sure it's done in some Canon combinations. I haven't got my Canon gear yet to check it out.

My 2p:

When i had a crop i bought the 60mm EF-S Macro - Loved it. Excellent for Macro and portraits. It doesnt give you as much reach but i tend to macro on household objects rather than flying bugs. You can get bug shots but you need to get a bit closer

I upgraded to Full frame and had to sell the 60mm. I then bought/sold umpteen lenses trying to get the right combo for my needs and eventually decided i still wanted a macro lens but that was a good focal distance for portrait too.

I bought a 2nd hand canon 100mm and honestly it was an anti climax, i dont think it was a patch on my 60mm. Obviously many people would differ with that opinion so maybe i had a poor copy.

Eventually i sold it at cost as Sigma had the 105mm OS with £100 cashback. So i got a brand new lens with OS in exchange for my 100mm and a few quid.

very very pleased. I have bought Sigma's before and had issues with focusing but this is a lovely lens.

My take on this is to get the canon 100mm non-l, I've had the l too and iq wise theres not much in it but it's a lot cheaper especially second hand.

I'll add too that it has internal focusing so the barrel won't come out any further and scare bugs

The 100mm macro is clearly a popular choice but a year ago I couldn't quite stretch that far and picked up the canon 60mm macro and have been really pleased with the result.

I don't use it enough so I keep thinking of selling it, but every time I think about it I remember the quality of it and keep it.

Well worth checking out

Last edited:
Back