macro lens

Name
lee
Edit My Images
Yes
Evening all.

I'm looking to get a macro lens and start practicing a bit of macro photography,
can anyone recommend a decent lens to go on my Nikon D800.
thanks.

lee

I use a Sigma 105 macro on my d850. Well pleased with it.

This will be a very obvious answer but I’m going to ask any way. What’s the difference in a macro lens and say a 70-200 zoomed in and cropped on the subject,

This will be a very obvious answer but I’m going to ask any way. What’s the difference in a macro lens and say a 70-200 zoomed in and cropped on the subject,
Not obvious at all until you know - macro means 1:1 at point of focus - ie whatever you are taking a photo of is the same size on your sensor as it is in real life. Before that, it's just a close up, and after that, is micro photography.

A true macro will allow you to get much closer than a typical 70-200 zoomed in.

Macro lenses also tend to have a very flat field of focus - so rather than having a sweet spot in the centre, and fall off (both sharpness and light) towards the corners, they'll terms to be sharper over the whole image - hence they cost more than an equivalent "standard" prime.

Hope this helps!

thanks for the replies chaps, been looking at the Nikon or sigma 105mm lenses, and now thrown into the mix, the above suggestion,
which for me is maybe the best option as I do have good ideas at times but quickly change my mind, so price wise it makes sense,
just going to look into the Raynox DCR-150 and see how it works and fits,
thanks,

lee

another thumbs up on the Sigma,used on D610..although if you just want to have some fun the raynox is good.

I’d personally go with the sigma 150mm over the 105, but each to their own. Much better for bugs as the working distance is further for the same level of magnification

......... of course, if you want the best, you could go for the Nikon 200 f4 AF-D micro! - Should be able to find one second hand, for around £1000.00:nikon:

I find that focal lenght way to Long for most macro photography. The narrow FOV and DOF makes very uninteresting to obliterated backgrounds. How about the Laowa 100mm 2x macro?

knowing what im like iv decided to go for the Raynox DCR-150 as I may very well decide its not for me after a week or 2:D

It will take you a week or two, to get used to the tiny 'depths of field', but stick with it and you wont be disappointed. Here's another from two days ago, to show what you can achieve with them.

DSC_6551 (3) by Glynn Hobbs, on Flickr

It will take you a week or two, to get used to the tiny 'depths of field', but stick with it and you wont be disappointed. Here's another from two days ago, to show what you can achieve with them.

DSC_6551 (3) by Glynn Hobbs, on Flickr

if I took a photo like that and showed someone, there is no chance they would believe id taken it, that just looks unreal(y)
I have ordered one now so should be here in a few days,
thanks.

lee

think it said it was ok from 52-67mm so will only fit on my 50mm at thet as my 24-70 and 70-200 are both 77m

so my Raynox DCR-150 came today, only just got it out and taken a couple test shots, taken with my 50mm f1.4 lens, taken at f8 on a tripod, minimal focus distance and then a crop, one with the Raynox DCR-150, and one without,

Attachments

• DSC_4829,jhhhb.jpg
    DSC_4829,jhhhb.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC_4829 (2).JPG
    DSC_4829 (2).JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC_4832kjhub.jpg
    DSC_4832kjhub.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC_4832 (2).JPG
    DSC_4832 (2).JPG
    145.5 KB · Views: 11
The diopter lenses like the raynox works better with longer focallenghts, extension tubes have the most effect on shorter focallenghts though a pair on a tele zoom gets you close enough to butter flies etc.
27mm tubes on 100-400mm @100mm
DSCF8683-Fotoklub.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
so, iv bought a sigma 105mm macro lens as suggested, I have 2 questions, just out of interest will my raynox work on it, and what do I need flash wise, never had a flash before and know very little about them.
thanks.

lee

Godox TT685 and a diffusor
DSC_0380.JPG
Or use a piece of foam. Actually works really well.
DSC_0428.JPG

I was watching some videos on youtube last night and the bloke had a diffusor like that, then watched matt granger talking about macro lenses, he had one that looked the same as yours in the second photo:)

How about the Laowa 100mm 2x macro?

Excellent lens that is, probably the best macro lens I've tried out to date. The only reason i sold it on was I was adapteing it to Fuji and with the adapter and the lens being quite hefty on it's own, I just didn't feel it balanced very well even on the X-H1. Native mount it would absoloutely be a keeper. The results though, were impressive, I couldn't even force CA wide open in the harshest of back lighting. I think I will get the Fuji mount 65mm version of it at some point.

Last edited:
what about a Nikon speedlight, there are plenty of secondhand ones on ebay, but no gordex, and as I can go off ideas very quickly I dont like buying new gear and losing a load of money if I decide to sell it, and what about a softbox rather then a diffuser, are they the same?
thanks again,

lee

Excellent lens that is, probably the best macro lens I've tried out to date. The only reason i sold it on was I was adapteing it to Fuji and with the adapter and the lens being quite hefty on it's own, I just didn't feel it balanced very well even on the X-H1. Native mount it would absoloutely be a keeper. The results though, were impressive, I couldn't even force CA wide open in the harshest of back lighting. I think I will get the Fuji mount 65mm version of it at some point.

would a laowa 60mm lens be ok, second hand one on ebay for £300

would a laowa 60mm lens be ok, second hand one on ebay for £300

The Laowa 60mm is apparently a very decent lens, if you can find the 100mm used for close to that price I would suggest that first. But, I wouldn't nay say the 60mm, look up some reviews and see how you feel

thanks, I was thinking the same myself about waiting to find the 100mm, im in no rush/

thanks.

lee

Got the 65mm. It's an avesome lens.

what about a Nikon speedlight, there are plenty of secondhand ones on ebay, but no gordex, and as I can go off ideas very quickly I dont like buying new gear and losing a load of money if I decide to sell it, and what about a softbox rather then a diffuser, are they the same?
thanks again,

lee
Offcource. Btw the raynox should work on the 105 too.

Thanks for all the answers and advice chaps, I think before I get carried away with buying a second macro lens I’ll see how I get on with the sigma 105. and if I use the raynox then I’m sure it will be ok for me, I can get a bit carried away sometimes :)
so any thoughts on what speed light as I notice there are many SB types number wise.
thanks.

Lee

Anyone use the tokina 100mm f2.8. Just seen a video on you tube by the angry photographer doing a review on it V’s the Nikon 105mm and he has the tokina a beating it hands down, yet ken Rockwell says he wouldn’t have a sigma, Tamron or tokina over a Nikon,

Last edited:
Back