Macro lens

Name
kelly macdonald
Edit My Images
Yes
I was wondering what lens i would be better getting for doing some macro shots. I want to start doing close up shots of flowers and insects and would like to know if i should go for the Sigma 105mm f2.8 ex dg macro lens or the Sigma 150mm f2.8 ex dg macro lens

They're both macro lenses, both will do lifesize reproduction. The only difference really is the working distance and the price. Quality wise there's little in it with any of the macro lenses.

I prefer to get 105mm most pro people have got it, but its up to you :)

I'd go for the 150mm as the extra reach is useful, only caveat to that is it's quite a bit larger and tricky to get sharp shots handheld so if you aren't happy taking a monopod/tripod then stick to the 105mm. I have both the Sigma lenses and the Nikon 105mm and use the 150mm the most but they are all cracking lenses so whichever you can get for a good price you will be happy with :)

You are welcome sir/madam, I hope you did not think I was being a smart *ss, I am no expert in this kind of thing and felt sure there was no such thing as a marco lens.....but I was by no means positive:LOL:

I have no experience of the Sigma lenses, but the longer focal length will definitely help with insects etc. as it will allow you more distance between you and them :) they tend to shy away from lenses being stuck in their face :D

If at all possible, take a good look at the lenses you're considering in person. The 150 is a big lens, and a lot to carry around. A 105 is a bit more manageable. That said, as others have pointed out, the 150 will get you to 1:1 from a greater distance, making it easier to capture insects (for example) and also to get the best lighting. I've got a Nikon 105 and am very pleased with it, but I take the occasional flower shot, and am not much interested in insects.

Indeed but I didn't ask what gear I have. But I would be interested in hearing about the source for your claim that most "pros" use the Sigma 105mm and particularly anything it might say about why they chose it. I suspect it would be useful information for many other members here as well...

Indeed but I didn't ask what gear I have. But I would be interested in hearing about the source for your claim that most "pros" use the Sigma 105mm and particularly anything it might say about why they chose it. I suspect it would be useful information for many other members here as well...

This is correct I have a source I shall find a thread about this and post it.

I have just bought the sigma 105 because i felt the weight of the 150 just too much!
Im happy with it, new to this myself but the lens is very good I just need to learn how to drive it :LOL:

Back