Macro lenses, choices.

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys,
I love my tubes but i'm fed up missing shots because the critters just up and go.
I have decided to go for either the Sigma 150mm, or the Canon 180mm.
I am not concerned about IS/OS as i will be using flash.
The Non OS Sigma seems a steal at used prices, but is it because it's lacking over the Canon?
Your thoughts are appreciated.

I had both of these lenses are the same time and still have the Canon version. Almost all macro lenses are highly corrected and sharpness isn't likely to be an issue with anything you pick up. Achieving such sharpness is often (almost always) at the expense of the bokeh as it's the uncorrected aberrations that give it its appeal. I found that the Canon fares much better with fussy backgrounds (twigs, grass blades etc) and whilst this is probably the result of less correction, I found the results more pleasing. Bokeh being a personal choice issue then it's very subjective and others might not put the same weight on this aspect of the final image.

Bob

Hi guys,
I love my tubes but i'm fed up missing shots because the critters just up and go.
I have decided to go for either the Sigma 150mm, or the Canon 180mm.
I am not concerned about IS/OS as i will be using flash.
The Non OS Sigma seems a steal at used prices, but is it because it's lacking over the Canon?
Your thoughts are appreciated.

I had the OS version of the Sigma, it weighed a tonne and the OS system actually failed after 2 years, because of the weight and the fact OS is a bit useless for macro I was sorry I didn't just buy the non OS and save a pile. If they are optically the same, which I believe they are, or close at least, then it'll be tack sharp and also make for an excellent portrait lens.

I have used loads of macro lenses and can honestly say I have never come across a bad one.

If you are thinking in the 150-180mm range then also look at the older Tamron and Sigma 180mm lenses, I have the Sigma 180mm f/3.5 DG EX HSM and it is a great performer.

Hoverfly
by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr

Shield Bug
by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thanks guys, wish i'd never asked lol.
My decision is even more difficult, especially that weight issue Keith (swapped my siggy 150-600mk2 for the canon 100-400mk2 for that reason).
Thanks Bob, i'm a real fan of great Bokeh so that's another consideration.
Great images Mike, i'll take a look at the tammy and siggy 180 too.

Thanks guys, wish i'd never asked lol.
My decision is even more difficult, especially that weight issue Keith (swapped my siggy 150-600mk2 for the canon 100-400mk2 for that reason).
Thanks Bob, i'm a real fan of great Bokeh so that's another consideration.
Great images Mike, i'll take a look at the tammy and siggy 180 too.

The OS Sigma was a hefty beast at 1.2KG, not one you want to hand-hold for very long - especially for macro where you're concentrating that bit harder on holding dead steady and the weight seems to increase! The non OS is lighter but still about 900g I think

I had the OS version of the Sigma, it weighed a tonne and the OS system actually failed after 2 years, because of the weight and the fact OS is a bit useless for macro I was sorry I didn't just buy the non OS and save a pile. If they are optically the same, which I believe they are, or close at least, then it'll be tack sharp and also make for an excellent portrait lens.

I also had the OS version of the Sigma, and had to have the OS unit replaced twice in under 2 years (fortunately under guarantee)! I got rid of it, and I now use the Canon 180mm. I've been using it for about a year and I'm really pleased with it.

Ringlet (Aphantopus hyperantus). by Dave O'B, on Flickr
Taken with the Canon 180mm on the 5D MkIV.

Cheers,

Dave

Wuss .... :D

LUL, you say that but you know damn well what it's like, when you're bare-breathing, holding dead still while a bug makes up it's mind which way it wants to face and you have practically a bag and a half of sugar held out steady in hand :D - add on the camera body and flash and you're over 2 bags of sugar. I used it for 2 years, must be why I'm so buff :p

Last edited:
I also had the OS version of the Sigma, and had to have the OS unit replaced twice in under 2 years (fortunately under guarantee)! I got rid of it, and I now use the Canon 180mm. I've been using it for about a year and I'm really pleased with it.

Ringlet (Aphantopus hyperantus). by Dave O'B, on Flickr
Taken with the Canon 180mm on the 5D MkIV.

Cheers,

Dave

Seems it was a common issue with this lens. I sold mine on as a non-OS lens, lost a tonne on it, the guy who bought it got it fixed up - he still got a good deal.

That looks interesting Mike and a decent price, sadly i'm an impatient git lol.
I think i may have narrowed it down, i have found a canon and a tamron on MPB, i'm swayed a bit by the extra MWD that the 180's have, just need to read some reviews on the tammy.
Cannot find a used siggy 180.

Last edited:
Oh dear, I have just visited ebay, which i generally don't do for my photographic gear but they have a siggy 180, decisions decisions, i think i'll skip the canon due to it being by far the heaviest.
It's just a question of can the Tamron stand tall with the Sigma? Mmmmmm.
Another thought is how these compare at minimum aperture, the siggy goes to f22 whereas the tammy goes to f32.

When I was after a Macro some years back (~100mm rather than longer), I was torn between the Tamron 90mm and the Sigma 105 (both f/2.8). Having used both, it came down to whichever appeared on a local 2nd hand shelf first - the Tamron won! Would have been just as happy with the Sigma had that turned up first.

When I was after a Macro some years back (~100mm rather than longer), I was torn between the Tamron 90mm and the Sigma 105 (both f/2.8). Having used both, it came down to whichever appeared on a local 2nd hand shelf first - the Tamron won! Would have been just as happy with the Sigma had that turned up first.
Hi Nod,
It's a tough decision now i have it narrowed down to just two, (both are available used with tammy a tad cheaper) the tammy wins out on some things and the siggy on others, i guess i'll just have to decide which is more important for me

Buy both......hehe

Ok guys i have done it again, changed my mind.
I was interested more in the SIgma but then thought about lighting.
Now i think the canon MT24EX is hellishly expensive, but Yongnuo to the rescue again with their 24EX and it gets brilliant reviews.
Now it comes with up to 72mm adapter and that's what the Canon 180mm is, the Sigma however is a whopping 86mm.
Here lies a dilemma, before i purchase either i have seen the Yongnuo here but i cannot for the life of me figure why one is £129 and the other £169, please help, am i missing the obvious here and it's just harsh competition or is there a difference?
Thanks in advance for your help.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/YONGNUO-YN24EX-Speedlite-Adapter-Cameras/dp/B06XPH2DCL

My Sigma 180mm f/3.5 macro has a 72mm filter thread.
Thank's Mike, just realised i was looking at the OS version DOH.

Back