Macro Lenses...

Edit My Images
Yes
While waiting for my Nikon D50 to come back from Nikon, had been browsing for some information on Marco lenses.

I had look at some reviews and made a list of the lenses that I should consider.

Sigma 70mm EX DG F2.8

Sigma 105 mm EX DG F2.8

Nikon AF-D 60mm F2.8

Tamron AF 90mm Di F2.8

Which one would I be better off using? I am tempt to opt for Nikon one but felt it too bias, so what would you opt for?

It mainly for plants/insects/butterflies/moths and when it's raining, cataloguing my stamp collection (Sad I know but it's for insurance purpose! Honest!! :bat: )

Longer focal length like 105mm gives 1:1 life size at further distance from the subject as say the 60mm would so more useful for insects because you don't need to be quite so close..... Further working distance is a good thing.

All I believe are pretty good lenses accorfding to the reviews and the macro lenses you note are all very sharp.

Almost bought a 105mm sigma the other day but backed out after seeing the 90mm tamron. Can't decide between the two :(

Im leaning towards the sigma due to the longer focal length though.

I've had some great pics from my Sigma 105mm. Makes a totally excellent 105mm prime too :)

I went for the Sigma 105mm over the Canon 100mm purely on price. However, I have been more than happy with the results.

I have the 105mm sigma and have put it through its paces in a number of different situations and I love it. The colours, contrast and sharpness are leagues ahead of my 2 zooms, but then you would expect that. Not sure how it compares to the others as I haven't used them but from my own experience you can't go wrong with the sigma 105mm. It's a good looking lens too.

Maybe the one thing I would change is to make it so a little more force is needed to switch it from AF to MF, or even for the switch between the two modes to be controlled by the camera body.

Back