Beginner Macro Photography in the Pitch Black

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
I'm very interested in photographing small objects with my macro lens where the background is pitch black and the object you're photographing is in the light. Such as the image below.

How would I be able to take something like this with my current gear? I'm guessing I should invest in a flash?

So close yet so far by Carlos Porto, on Flickr

I'm very interested in photographing small objects with my macro lens where the background is pitch black and the object you're photographing is in the light. Such as the image below.

How would I be able to take something like this with my current gear? I'm guessing I should invest in a flash?
Yes, and triggers, and you can bodge modifiers and reflectors if you're on a budget and have time on your hands.

The important thing to understand is that's not shot in the pitch black though. It's a common beginners mistake to not understand that. :D

The important thing to understand is that's not shot in the pitch black though. It's a common beginners mistake to not understand that. :D

You can also do almost anything on the pc :D

Taken outside in the afternoon sun. Not a perfect example but just saying that you can maybe get close with minimal kit.

I'd just use a black background - as matte as possible - and work from there.

With respect, none of the examples posted here are as well lit as the OP's target image.

That requires carefully controlled and positioned lighting.

A black background is easy once you understand the inverse square law and take a little control. The target image is lit from above /Rhs with a small softbox, and a silver reflector below left, you can tell from the intensity of the fill that the reflector is silver (it could be kitchen foil).

With respect, none of the examples posted here are as well lit as the OP's target image.
Mine isn't lit at all and my only point was that with a little thought and PP you might be able to get close and of course it may me problematic to light a subject in the wilds.

Mine isn't lit at all and my only point was that with a little thought and PP you might be able to get close and of course it may me problematic to light a subject in the wilds.
I appreciate that yours wasn't lit (well it was otherwise it'd be all black).

My point is that to get a picture like the one posted requires some effort with the lighting. The OP wants to create quality images he has to put some effort into learning to light. Your shot was sunlit creating an odd shadow and the background PP'd to black. The other shots were done with ring flash, which helped for the ISL black background, but did nothing for attractively lighting the subject.

Back