Macro photography is...

Joe T

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
...hard on the knees :(

I spent ages trying to get a good shot of the countless honey bees, bumble bees and other insects that were on a particular bush yesterday. Those critters just move too damn fast to capture! I only ended up with one that was half decent:

DSC_0549-01ab.jpg

The focus is ever so slightly off, and the background is a tad distracting too.

Its also a 100% crop :(

Anyway, hope you like. :)

Dude, wait til you get to my age. EVERYTHING is hard on the knees, even sleeping!

I don't think the background is distracting as it's contextual, but you're right about the focus though. I haven't really delved into macro yet so I'm not really one to be doling out advice on this!

P.s. Do like it though!

Trouble is you get a glimpse of what could be...and that keeps you trying.

pxl8 can get sharp macros hand held with the same lens I have - I can't.

When I hand hold I'm trying so hard to keep the camera still I forget to breathe - so macro photography...makes you short of breath too :)

Frustrating isn't it! Having said that, don't be too hard on yourself for that one - it certainly doesn't look too bad to me. I know what Robert means about holding your breath too - I'm quite relieved it's not just me!

Well Joe ... if it's any consolation ... and I'm sure you don't give a hoot ... it is far better then I've managed so far !

The focus is marginal and doesn't really detract from the great composition and overall effect ... it's a technicality !

I like ... fwiw ... a lot m8 (y)

The exif shows 1/500s at f3.5 which at least partly explains the focus issue. It also shows shutter priority as the shooting mode - aperture priority is, I find, better as you get control of the DoF.

Camera settings aside the key is practice. Practice your manual focusing so it gets quicker, practice your fieldcraft so you can get closer and anticipate your subjects behaviour.

Next time you shoot macro try spending the first half hour or so just watching through the viewfinder and forget all about taking any shots. I think it's important that operating the camera is instinctive so your conscious thought needs to be on something else, if that makes sense...

You might also want to find a different subject, bees and bumbles are tricky because they are skittish and random. Find a fly perched on a leaf cleaning itself or blowing bubbles, they tend to sit pretty still and make excellent practice subjects.

excellent advice which i shall try and follow.

Back