Macro portraiture

• Thread starter Deleted member 3428
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3428

Couple of minutes cleaning out the sticks led to a portrait.
Taken with the Mighty Canon 40d and MP-e 65 and lit by the MT 24 macro twin lite diffused with two Fong puffers and my diy lens tent.

7 shot stack.
51686573438d39_z.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazing detail Alby (y)... what's the DIY lens tent ?

Amazing detail Alby (y)... what's the DIY lens tent ?
I will post up some pics in the sticky later John.
Gulp .... :clap: .... now that is a top example of stacking, really good.

Dave ....
Thanks Dave, I use combine zm, it is free. :D
Truely amazing shot!
Thanks for looking Andy ;)
Fantastic shot Alby. Did it come from outer space?:D
Alien, yes it is from another planet Barbara like me sometimes :LOL:
Nice one Alby. Super detail as usual. (y)
Cheers Dave. ;)

I know your not supposed to comment on the model, but ....... he / she must be attractive to someone / thing; perhaps they have a nice personality ?.
Fantastic detail in the shot.

That lens is quite staggering and requires a lot of skill to use it and achieve results like this. Well done indeed (y)

OKay, I'll ask. WTF is it?

Great shot(s) though.

Last edited:
Lighting is as usual spot on as is the stacking and the focus and the... damn i hate you sometimes :LOL:

:clap:

OKay, I'll ask. WTF is it?

Great shot(s) though.

I think it's a stick insect.

Great shot, again, Alby.

What's the idea of stacking though. When you say 7 images stacked - I assume 7 copies of the same image, each with a different element of PP?

Or 7 different photo's?????? (Thinking this is not the case as these things move.....)

Thanks for looking folks ;)
Lynton: focus stacking is taking several shots at different focal lengths of the image and stacking them all together. The focal plane in macro is very shallow and this is a way of extending it. The stick insect stays pretty still when not disturbed so works pretty well.
Ed, Lyton is correct, it is a stick insect called Extatosoma tiaratum from Australia also known as the Australian Giant Prickly stick insect.

That is truly stunning Alby, I take my hat off to you for putting in the focus stacking work, but well worth it, reminds me a bit of Predator :)

Fantastic picture.

Regarding the stacking, do you use a focussing rail on a tripod or suchlike?

That is truly stunning Alby, I take my hat off to you for putting in the focus stacking work, but well worth it, reminds me a bit of Predator :)
Cheers Julian, I don't post too much these days and my flickr is mostly private apart from a few friends like yourself. I don't do nearly enough focus stacking these days too.
Fantastic picture.

Regarding the stacking, do you use a focussing rail on a tripod or suchlike?
All done hand held moving the camera closer and closer. I stack using Combinezm or whatever it is called these days.

Back