Macro Ring Flash, Sigma or Canon

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
No
I have decided to move towards more macro photography and want to buy a ring flash, but have no experience of them so can I ask advice of experienced people on the forum please.

I'm considering the Sigma EM140 and the Canon MR-14EX. There is quite a cost difference between the 2 and I am wondering if it is worth paying the extra for the Canon or if the Sigma will do the job effectively. I want to photograph flowers and insects mainly.

Many thanks

Phil

The Sigma will do all that you require. I don't think it's worth paying the extra for the Canon, unless you will be needing it as a master flash to drive additional off camera flash guns which will have to be Canon's own make. That's getting somewhat serious, and probably more than you will need.

does the sigma attach to a canon macro lens with a standard screw rig ?

Depends on your lens size. There are three (I think) rings supplied with the kit, but if your lens is not this size then you'll have to get an additional ring, and pay for it!!

The Canon 100mm 2.8 needs an additional ring.

Simple screw on to the front of the lens, then the flash clips onto that.

(P.S. I have a Sigma unit for my 5D!)

Many thanks for the advice, Sigma it is then and an adapter for my Canon lens.

Phil

I had a Marumi. It was certainly cheap. So cheap that when I banged it into my lens on fitting it gave up the ghost and stopped working. Fortunately it was within the warranty period so I got my money back. Cheap and cheerful, or cheap and nasty? Depends on your point of view, but build quality was **** poor. Hot shoe connection was variable, battery compartment cover was not of the hinged type and was always coming loose. On/off switch was as flimsy as they come, and fitting was PIA because the whole unit had to be screwed into the lens, with the lead and hot shoe fitment floating around in mid air.

Cheap but not very user friendly. Depends how often you use it I suppose.

Many thanks, think I will go with the Sigma as I want something long lasting.

Phil

I had a Marumi. It was certainly cheap. So cheap that when I banged it into my lens on fitting it gave up the ghost and stopped working. Fortunately it was within the warranty period so I got my money back. Cheap and cheerful, or cheap and nasty? Depends on your point of view, but build quality was **** poor. Hot shoe connection was variable, battery compartment cover was not of the hinged type and was always coming loose. On/off switch was as flimsy as they come, and fitting was PIA because the whole unit had to be screwed into the lens, with the lead and hot shoe fitment floating around in mid air.

I don't have any of those problems with my Marumi, you must be ham-fisted! LOL

Not anything like mine don't know what you have there at all.....
{the whole unit had to be screwed into the lens, with the lead and hot shoe figment floating around in mid air.}
How do you think a ring flash is fitted?

Last edited:
Back