Macro Screw On Filters

Edit My Images
No
I brought some of these Macro Filters But cant seem to focus with them, I have tried everything.....am I doing something wrong or are they cheap rubbish?:thinking:

Thanks in advance(y)

Unfortunately they are what they cost. For an extra £20 you could have got a Raynox DCR 250 which would have blow these away for quality. I wouldn't use anything above the 4x filter for the best results and you will find they go very soft at the edges of the shot. Use Manual focus also.

They may be rubbish I don't know about these particular lenses. Are you trying to focus in auto or manual mode. If they are similar to my Raynox lens then I use f11, 1/200, Manual focus, and diffused flash or preferably off camera flash if indoors or taking anything which moves. If outside in natural light then I dont always use flash, but I find if I use too wide an aperture it is very difficult to focus.

How about putting some examples of your problem on here, along with exif data, then someone may be able to give you more help.

I have been taking the shots in Manual, unfortunatley almost every shot was out of focus so I deleted it off the camera. I will keep trying:)

I have been taking the shots in Manual, unfortunatley almost every shot was out of focus so I deleted it off the camera. I will keep trying:)

Try supporting your lens on something. I use a neck pillow to help keep the camera steady, and this still lets you rock camera back and forth to focus.

I have similar lenses / filters and I cant get any thing out of them either.
Thats why I decided to try and get hold of a Canon MP-E 65mm 1:2.8 1-5x Macro Lens but they are quite expensive.

I noticed Ajophotog said " I wouldn't use anything above the 4x filter ".
can I hijak this thread for one moment and ask why. ?
I have tried X4 X10 and a combination with no redults (still rubbish).

I have however had a mail back from a raynox dealer and they recomend THIS ONE HERE
I am a bit mixed up what to get again as I dont want to pay £700 in jessops for a Canon MP-E 65mm so I wonder if THIS FILTER will be any good ?
Sorry again to hijack the post but at last someone else has bought these bloody filters that you cant focus.

Steve

Just to clear up some of the terminology used here.

The filters are rated in diopters....+2, +4, +10 etc. These are not 2x, 4x and 10x.

The actual magnification achieved will be based on the native magnification of the lens that you attach the diopter to.

Bob

you could try buying yourself some extension tubes of ebay, the ones that don't retain auto focus are cheap as chips and the quality is great for the price... might be an option

Back