Critique Macro - stuck in a rut and not improving !

Edit My Images
No
I think my images are ok but not brilliant. I'm not particulay pleased with them and I am frustrated by my lack of knowledge in this area.

I feel I have pretty much come to a sticking point with macro photography and would like some advice on how I can improve or develop ? Without a shadow of doubt, I think macro photography is the hardest subject to grasp.

I'm quite inspired by the close up images of insects and butterflies and wildlife but never seem to come across any !

I could stick to flowers but all I would end up doing is churning out the same old format albeit different flowers. I did struggle with trying to get a close up of the centre of the Daffodil. I struggled to get a detailed close up of the centre of the daffodil

I use a Nikon D7000 with a Nikon 105mm macro lens, tripod and reflector as my standard set up. I also have a SB 7000 and TTL but I have never used it for macro work. Is this something I am missing out on ? I don't particularly want to spend any more money on macro gear, if i did is there any other bit of kit that I would benefit from ?

1)

2)

3)

Last edited:
i find myself crawling around the garden on all fours ( not drunk I hasten to add ) looking for small things to take photos of. There are always lots of bugs, morning dew etcetc to take if you look close enough.

Regarding kit, you have more than me - I have a 70-300 VR, a Raynox DCR-250, a SB400 flash and a diffuser and that's it. I think its a case of practice, practice and more practice

Nick I like all your shots but like Bethy number two is the stand out. I'm also new to the idea of macro but only if I can do it on a budget so may try the Raynox if I can decide which one. So keep at it & keep posting and remember 'Rome wasn't built in a day' (y)

I feel I have pretty much come to a sticking point with macro photography and would like some advice on how I can improve or develop ?

Is that SB7000 a typo for SB700? (I'm not a Nikon person, and am ignorant about Nikon gear). Anyway, I think you have all you need for now, with a macro lens and, should you choose to use it, flash.

If you do decide to use flash you should think about getting a diffuser. You can buy them but lots of people build their own, for next to nothing in cost. Have a look at the Show us your macro rig thread for some ideas. There are some complicated rigs there, but also some simple ones; and simple can be very effective.

You may not be seeing much by way of insects, spiders, snails etc at the moment because there may not be many around at the moment where you are. There haven't been many here yet. So keep looking.

Daffodils (well, most daffodils) are quite large. You might want to start looking on a smaller scale. You can photograph scenes down to an inch across with your gear, so crawling around the garden (or elsewhere) is not such a silly idea. It's what I do too (seriously - I always wear gardeners' kneepads when out photographing, in our garden or at nature reserves). You need to slow right down, relax, and let your eyes wander around, very, very slowly. I have before now spent a couple of hours working on one little (1-2m) stretch of garden border or hedgerow.

And don't just depend on your eyes. Remember that the camera sees things differently. Point the camera around and take pictures, and see what you have got, what the camera is seeing, then and there, so when something interesting and unexpected turns up you can pursue it. And try different apertures for scenes, from large to small and in between, because that can have a huge impact on the look of what the camera sees. You may get some nice surprises.

And remember that things can look very different indeed in different light - I find low late afternoon sun particularly interesting in the effects it can produce. Shoot into the light, shoot subjects that are strongly illuminated in shafts of light coming through foliage, take lots of shots of subjects that are being illuminated in continually changing patterns by light coming through moving foliage. Light - it makes and breaks photos; experiment with it, give it a chance to show you what it can do for you, for your photos.

Look, words can only get us so far. I'm going to take a risk of highjacking your thread (but you did ask, and I do know what it is like to lose inspiration - I am only fairly recently back after stopping completely for six months last year having lost inspiration, come to a dead end). Here are some examples that appeal to me at least and hopefully might give you something to help you forward a bit.

Grass flowering in the lawn, shot towards the low sun coming through the next door neighbour's hedge.

Daffodil (yes, one of the larger ones), shot in light coming through the foliage of a bush behind it.

The shapes and colours of weeds and even half-dead and decaying things can be picture-worthy.

And nice light can make the difference for insects etc too.

If you can get out early in the morning, the hour or two after dawn can provide lovely light too, and some sights you may not see at other times of day, like snails in motion.

and dew-covered insects

And remember that by varying the framing, in-camera or by cropping later, you can get very different effects, and make sets of pictures of the same subject.

I do use flash some of the time, but all of these used natural light as it happens, which I prefer to use, because I am as much interested in colours, textures, shapes, light and composition as fine detail. But with flash you can reveal more, sharper detail, if that is where your preferences lead you, and deal with lots of scenes which are not practical with natural light, because of combinations of breeze, subject movement, poor light or high magnification.

Now, I don't own a macro lens, and I didn't use a dSLR for any of these. You have a very nice macro lens and a good dSLR. I don't think there is anything here you couldn't do with your kit. And with flash, even more opportunities open up for you. It's all out there. Get out and about, wander around, experiment, practice, vary things, be patient, and be joyful as additional little pieces of the technical jigsaw fall slowly into place and you realise, "Yes, I can do this stuff".

Superb advice from Nick there.

The only thing I can add is to suggest ditching the tripod for insects. I know some people have success with them but I can't get on with them.

I prefer to get down and dirty with the critters. You can approach them more easily and be quicker with the shot.

Can't really add much - I think Nick's covered it nicely. Just remember to do what you enjoy and that we all go through slumps from time-to-time.

Oh and they'll be loads of bugs popping up over the next few weeks, don't give up!

Thank you all for taking the time to post your comments on here. Nick your commentary is vey good and I will follow this up.

Sent from my iPad using Talk Photography Forums

Apologies that my reply is brief, I am out and about this week.

Sent from my iPad using Talk Photography Forums

Cant add much to Nicks excellent advice except just try to visit a few varied sites to look for insects
find a meadow with flowers and you will be guaranteed butterflies
the gear itself isn't so important as finding subjects and experimenting with light and compositions:)

The three big takeaways everyone should think about from Gardenhelper's addition to this thread are:

1) Angle - looking across or up at insects make them more impressive
2) Background - try and get blurry and uncluttered
3) Light - more on subject than rest

Sigh, I've just gotten to a point where I'm happy with the lenses that I own. I should have stayed in the landscape section where it was safe, rather than venturing into the macro area. Now it appears that I have a macro lens sized gap in my camera bag that needs filling! It's an unwinnable battle, I swear :(

Some inspirational photos from eveyone in here. Nice work :)

Sigh, I've just gotten to a point where I'm happy with the lenses that I own. I should have stayed in the landscape section where it was safe, rather than venturing into the macro area. Now it appears that I have a macro lens sized gap in my camera bag that needs filling! It's an unwinnable battle, I swear :(

Some inspirational photos from eveyone in here. Nice work :)

Depending on the lenses you already own you may get away with a simple achromat such as Raynox, cheap and good entry into macro and even cheaper reversing lenses again depending on what you own.

Check out this must read here....

Last edited:
Depending on the lenses you already own you may get away with a simple achromat such as Raynox, cheap and good entry into macro and even cheaper reversing lenses again depending on what you own.

Check out this must read here....

Yeah I was looking at those after reading a few more macro threads. Seem like a decent low cost way into maco photography. I currently own the Canon 17-40 f/4L & 24-70 f/2.8L, and Sigma 120-300 f/2.8. If I wasn't meant to be saving for a house then I'd probably go for someting like the Sigma 105 as you seem to be able to pick them up for around 250 notes!

As for finding insects etc. Try visiting a local WWT reserve. Bit early at the moment but there should be an abundance of stuff about in mid May. Once you start looking - you'll be amazed at what you can find.

For moving insects - the flash may help. But you can get easily away with Natural light for stationary ones ( eg resting butterflies).

As for finding insects etc. Try visiting a local WWT reserve. Bit early at the moment but there should be an abundance of stuff about in mid May. Once you start looking - you'll be amazed at what you can find.

Good advice. I visit local Avon Wildlife Trust sites and find plenty of small animals to photograph there. It is still a bit early, but the invertebrates have started appearing here in the last week or so. Yesterday for example at one of the reserves I came across lots of yellow dung flies (very handsome and photogenic beasts). A couple of days before at a different reserve there were lots of snails and slugs - wonderful subjects as they move around in the early morning dampness.

It is amazing indeed what you find.

Back