Macro Studio Lights - Help Required

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi there

Further to building my little macro studio (http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=80319) I was after some advice on some small tabletop lights for use with my light box.

I have seen a few on ebay but wondered if there was anywhere else on the high street or the internet I could get these from? Any ideas?

The sort of things I am after are:

P10367899.jpg

Any help, or alternative suggestions, would be appreciated.

Thanks

Martin

You could try a inexpensive flexible necked table lamp, the sort B&Q and the like sell, and some daylight bulbs (Sometimes called hobby bulbs) You can get these from most large Tesco's. That's where I got mine from

I have a couple of Ikea angle-poise lights with some special 5100k flourescent tubes that give a lovely clean white light, and work great with the light tent or without (plus they don't get hot!)

Thanks for the responses guys - I'll do some shopping around.

i use desktop lamps with the flecible necks with 100W equiv bulbs and just set white balance in camera.

Ikea is a good and inexpensice way to buy little things.

I bought two of those lights as part of a set BUT the bulbs are MAINS voltage but with the 12V fitting. Both bulbs blew and it was impossible to get replacements. In the end I actually bought a 12V lighting transformer and had to convert them both to run off the 12V lights instead!

I am now looking at getting proper studio lighting !

Both bulbs blew and it was impossible to get replacements.

Just got this in response to my question on spare bulbs:

hi Martin,

we have spare bulbs in stock.

the single bulb will be 5.99+2.99, every additional purchase, NO extra postage (ie. if you want to buy three bulbs== 5.99+5.99+5.99+2.99+0+0)

if you want to order bulbs with lighting kit, no extra postage for bulbs. (ie, you buy two RW08001 and two spare bulbs==12.99+12.99+5.99+5.99)

we can send money request for you, as you cannot find the spare bulbs on my site.

have a look my shop, if you are going to order more item we make discount for you.

any question, get back to me.

Kind Regards,

Just got this in response to my question on spare bulbs:

hi Martin,

we have spare bulbs in stock.

the single bulb will be 5.99+2.99, every additional purchase, NO extra postage (ie. if you want to buy three bulbs== 5.99+5.99+5.99+2.99+0+0)

if you want to order bulbs with lighting kit, no extra postage for bulbs. (ie, you buy two RW08001 and two spare bulbs==12.99+12.99+5.99+5.99)

we can send money request for you, as you cannot find the spare bulbs on my site.

have a look my shop, if you are going to order more item we make discount for you.

any question, get back to me.

Kind Regards,

I bought a lighting transformer for £4 odd and converted them to 12V. I can get 12V bulbs anywhere in a variety of colours so its sorted thanks.

I have now bought a full studio lighting kit so will be trying that out now

For still life type of macro the table lamp solution is cheap and effective provided you white balance each time and use a tripod.

For macro subjects which are less cooperative use flash, but you might need to rig something to get the flash where you want it.

I bought a lighting transformer for £4 odd and converted them to 12V. I can get 12V bulbs anywhere in a variety of colours so its sorted thanks.

I have now bought a full studio lighting kit so will be trying that out now

Ok - perhaps I'll take this route if the bulbs blow. Would you share your source for the transformer, bulbs and technique to convert please?

Ok - perhaps I'll take this route if the bulbs blow. Would you share your source for the transformer, bulbs and technique to convert please?

The bulbs are the ones that look just the same as the supplied bulbs and are normally only available in 12V, you can get these in a variery of colours, daylight etc BUT if you get the cheap ones you can just set the white balance so it doesn't matter and saves you plenty. I just buy the bulbs from Asda (the smart price ones cost less than a £)

The transformers should be available at any lighting shop or from CPC @ Preston HERE. You want either two transformers OR one that is big enough to handle BOTH bulbs (I prefer TWO).

Transformers capable of powering a single bulb are actually on special offer at the moment @ £2.22+vat each (or £1.72 if you buy 10 :)) - part number LA0308107. These particular transformers are actually dimmable too.

LA0308107.jpg

Basically these transformers are all wired up for you! There is a double insulated mains wire and a pair of 12V feed wires.

This is what you do:

Take your lamp and disassemble the in-line switch so that you have the mains plug, piece of mains wire and in line switch as one assembly. Now attach the in-line switch to the mains wire coming out of the transformer . (this is the one with a blue and brown wire encased in a black sleeve and it does not matter which way round the wires go).

Now get the lamp and either take it apart then connect the two 12V wires to either side of the bulb holder (either way round does not matter - remember the bulb goes in either way round). Alternatively if you do not want to mess too much with the lamp you join the 12V wires from the transformer to the remains of the mains wire leading to the light (remember this is just 12V now so no major hassle, it just looks less professional and slightly untidy:) If you must do this then you can use crimps and insulation tape, solder the wire and use heat shrink etc - it matters not).

This is the easiest method and the cost of one transformer and 4 bulbs is less than the cost of one 240V bulb !!!

DISCLAIMER: Remember you are playing with mains electricity and although this is REALLY easy if you are not entirely confident in what you are doing then get a grown up to do it :bonk:

Wow! many thanks for such a comprehensive guide! I'll be looking to go this route if, as and when the bulbs blow.

Wow! many thanks for such a comprehensive guide! I'll be looking to go this route if, as and when the bulbs blow.

My advice... The bulbs WILL blow eventually and the special offer finishes on 3rd October so you might as well buy the two transformer now and print out the instructions ready! No idea how much they will go up to and quite often CPC's special offers vanish forever!

B&Q had the transformers for about £10 each and those just had screw terminals so you would have to fit the transformers inside another plastic box for safety! I just used two transformers I had spare but would get the CPC ones if I needed another especially at £2.22 !

Back