Macro tubes + teleconverters?

Nod

Tootles
Name
Nod (UK)
Edit My Images
Yes
Just got a pair of extension tubes for my Fuji system (10 and 16mm) and I have the 1.4x and 2x teleconverters. If I was to stack the tubes and converters behind my 18mm (my only prime but could use a zoom instead), is there any preferred order? The lens will have to go on a tube first since the telecon would interfere with the rear element if I tried mounting it directly onto the lenses I'm thinking of using (although the converters will fit on the 100-400 without the extra clearance that a tube (or 2) will give.

Just got a pair of extension tubes for my Fuji system (10 and 16mm) and I have the 1.4x and 2x teleconverters. If I was to stack the tubes and converters behind my 18mm (my only prime but could use a zoom instead), is there any preferred order? The lens will have to go on a tube first since the telecon would interfere with the rear element if I tried mounting it directly onto the lenses I'm thinking of using (although the converters will fit on the 100-400 without the extra clearance that a tube (or 2) will give.

Nod, although not set in stone it is generally recommended when using close up filters etc to mount the lowest diopter furthest away from the camera body, ie if using +1 & +2 mount the +2 on the front of the lens and the +1 on the front of that.

Although I've never used converters etc my line of thinking would be to do exactly the same ie 2Xs nearest the camera body and the 1.4Xs on the front of that.(y)

George.

Thanks for that, George. I suppose I really need to practise what I preach and do some experimenting with the things in assorted combinations. The extension tubes are a bit plasticky so I'm not sure I'll trust the 100-400 on them but using the lens's tripod foot will leave just the weight of the body dangling on the mount rather than the weight of the lens.

Me too - I've been looking for a good solution and after seeing the 1:1 the other day got a 90mm in which should turn up tomorrow (TBH I was going to get one anyway, but hey!), I've a set of tubes here and a Raynox 250 that I've had for an age, so fingers crossed - just got to drag the flashes out and see if any of the bits I have work in anything bar manual.

General rule is that extension tubes work better on shorter lenses and Raynox work better on longer focal lengths. So your teleconverter would just be making your extension tubes worse.

Point taken, it was the idea of an 1,120mm macro of dubious maximum aperture that intrigues me! I'll have a play and see what works and what doesn't.

So far, I've double stacked the tubs behind the 18mm prime and that gives a working distance between the front element and the subject of a very few mm... Using the tubes singly gives a couple of extra mm to play with but not a lot!

You'll need to increase the focal length of the lens to increase your working distance.

General rule is that extension tubes work better on shorter lenses and Raynox work better on longer focal lengths. So your teleconverter would just be making your extension tubes worse.

Never heard that one before and I have used my auto extension tubes on my 70-300mm L lens with it set at 300mm without any problems at all.

The problems you are going to have with stacking converters and extension tubes, apart from a loss of quality, is a large loss of light - a 1.4x converter will cost you 1 stop of light reduction and a 2x converter 2 stops of light loss, so altogether (without the loss of the extension tubes) you will have a light loss of 3 stops minimum.

But good luck with the experiment and print the results.

You'll need to increase the focal length of the lens to increase your working distance.

Hoping that the 100-400 will be long enough!

But good luck with the experiment and print the results.

Not sure I'll print the test results but I'll certainly post them and my thoughts. The stacking of all the tubes and telecons is just a bit of a silly idea really, more akin (possibly) to microscopy than macro photography. Not expecting perfection - I'll settle for interesting and fun!

Back