Macro

Edit My Images
Yes
:help:Well i found another piece of kit to buy as i cannot get out much, what is the very best len's which would be ok with full frame as well,

would these do eg close up filter kits or anything out there, i have the reverse ring for the 50mm prime which is great for very close up but feel i need more scope not microscope on the area to show the true macro.

:shake:if i would have got off my sorry ass:bang: and gone to the camera club they would have told me,:)

But this is the biggest camera club i know so i get a balanced view here.:clap::woot: .

mark.

Close up filters will get you closer and give you a feel of macro, as will extension tubes but for the full macro experience, you'll need a "proper" macro lens. I use a Tamron 90mm f/2.8 and have used a Sigma 105mm f/2.8 both of which seem to work very well (on 35mm as well as digital) but may be a little short for some insect work where the extra working distance of a longer lens could be useful. As a Canon user, you might be interested in an MPE 65mm...

Mark,

Normally I'd advise the Sigma 105 or Canon 100 macroes as a good starting point but you might find a 150 or 180mm macro a little more convenient due to the greater working distance....they'll give you 1:1 at 350-450mm distance.....a better option if and when you take it outside. Treating yourself to a set of Kenko DG extension tubes you can increase your magnification when needed but also consider a 1.4 T/C....this will increase you mag but maintain your working distance.....again, a benefit outdoors if you don't want to disappear into the shrubbery never to be seen again.

Bob

Close up filters will get you closer and give you a feel of macro, as will extension tubes but for the full macro experience, you'll need a "proper" macro lens. I use a Tamron 90mm f/2.8 and have used a Sigma 105mm f/2.8 both of which seem to work very well (on 35mm as well as digital) but may be a little short for some insect work where the extra working distance of a longer lens could be useful. As a Canon user, you might be interested in an MPE 65mm...

Thank you very much you mentioned extension tubes never thought of that :naughty: the extension tubes would give me the extra working length,

many thankd for that.

Regards mark.

Mark,

Normally I'd advise the Sigma 105 or Canon 100 macroes as a good starting point but you might find a 150 or 180mm macro a little more convenient due to the greater working distance....they'll give you 1:1 at 350-450mm distance.....a better option if and when you take it outside. Treating yourself to a set of Kenko DG extension tubes you can increase your magnification when needed but also consider a 1.4 T/C....this will increase you mag but maintain your working distance.....again, a benefit outdoors if you don't want to disappear into the shrubbery never to be seen again.

Bob

hi Bob this sounds good 150mm + kenko's + TC would be more versatile the 1.4 could go on the 100-400mm as well MF only but ??? (y) this looks like a good buy, i can get the 100mm 2.8 macro for £258.00 at the moment if i leave it till next month i could get the 150mm or 180mm.

just as a after thought what about thisand of course canon 180mm sigma 180mm is there a vast differance apart from the price

been looking at upgrading the 400D as well to full frame ;) but this needs more investigation..

Regards mark

@ Nod, how do you find the Tamron 90mm? My partner got her Canon 30d yesterday and was like a kid at christmas :) (Which made me happy)

Now she wants to do more macro work and wants a "true" macro lens. I was looking at these at MJB and was thinking what with christmas coming up...

Whats your opionion, or anyone elses for that matter?

Mike

(Sorry for thread jacking)

I have the Sigma 150mm macro and am very impressed with it. It's the only non Canon-L lens I use. I couldn't bring myself to spend the extra on Canon's 180mm macro, good as it is.

For outdoor stuff, the Sigma 105 has a slow focusing motor that can be a bit of a pain to use. The 150 is HSM which is quieter and quicker.

I have the Siggy 150 too. love it to bits! i will be coupling it with a 1.4 TC for more wrking distance too.

My Tamron 90mm is fairly old but still works extremely well. Like many here, I use it in MF mode (remember to set it on the body AND the lens!) while shooting macro, sometimes (if not most of the time) setting it to fill the frame with the subject then moving either the rig (camera, lens and tripod) or the subject to get the focus right. At the closest setting (1:1), DoF is EXTREMELY shallow, even at small apertures, so getting the part of the subject you want to be in focus is pretty important, as is keeping the subject as still as possible (easy with flowers but harder with insects!). The above all apply equally to all Macro lenses.

I also use the Tamron as a portrait lens on film bodies (in AF mode) and when I want a short but fast tele lens on either film or digital.

I waited about 18 months for a second hand one to turn up in a local store so I could check it over before parting with any cash. IIRC, I paid £150 for it at the local LCE (boxed, with hood, bag and all paperwork).

No, not that one - older 72E model(and in Nikon fit not Canon!).
2937224393_b1f0f33eee_o.jpg

As for money well spent, yes it is. I had a set of close-up "filters" before I found the Tamron and the dedicated lens knocks the results from the "filters" into a cocked hat. Had a Sigma turned up for sale (in decent condition) before the Tamron, I would be just as happy with that, I'm sure.

Ah right, thats cool though, surely if yours is decent, the newer 90mm one will be as good (one would hope).

And the reason i asked about the one in the link, is because my misses is a Canon user too :)

Not sure if there was any optical re-design when they updated it. I wouldn't have thought they would bother but they may have done. I'm sure there are users of the newer version here who could tell you their opinions of it.

Back