Mad car from Auto Italia show

Edit My Images
Yes
Just one picture, nothing fancy. This car blew me away at the Auto Italia Concours show at Stanford Hall last Sunday, it should be shared with the world :love:

mad500.jpg

Looks like a Mini and Fiat 500 Gang raped a Beetle :D

Awesome!

It's a FIAT 500 Abarth with I believe an Alfa 33 boxer engine.
It use to be in blue.

Looks like it's been injected with a box of steroid.

Indeed it is what Barry said.... Fiat Abarth. One on an old series of topgear that goes round endlessly LOL... I saw it a couple of weeks.. That is the best one I have ever seen.. Cracking pic to show how shiny it is.. I would however clone out the green car on the left.....

It use to be in blue.

I wondered if it was the blue one re-painted. Besides seeing it at a couple of shows I once saw it just driving up a local high street in the middle of the day. It looks even crazier in amongst normal traffic (y)

I believe they were sold from the factory with the engine cover locked open as in the photo, due to overheating .

Its bodywork has a lot more mods than the factory Abarths, and the engine looks non-standard - has it got a bike engine? Suzuki Hayabusa?

The factory Abarths ran with the bonnet open slightly to aid cooling.

I believe they were sold from the factory with the engine cover locked open as in the photo, due to overheating .

It was indeed locked open like this..

this one is very special though, looks like it was either a racer to me or is a heavilly modded. Can't find anything on the original that looked like this...

I wish I owed it LOL...

It's a FIAT 500 Abarth with I believe an Alfa 33 boxer engine.
It use to be in blue.

Looks like it's been injected with a box of steroid.

You almost took the words out of my mouth ~ as soon as I saw it I thought a Fiat Abarth 500 on steroids :LOL:

The factory Abarths ran with the bonnet open slightly to aid cooling.

You don't believe that do you? ;)

FWIW, they found the open engine cover aerodynamics made the Fiat 600s faster down the straights so they came up with the overheating scam to con their way past the silhouette /homologation rules :LOL:

If anyone's interested, this car is feature in the current issue of Retro Cars magazine :)

I just got the Retro Cars magazine and have to say, if you are intersted in location lighting etc, this mag is for you. Some beautifully taken photos through out the magazine..... The Fiat above looks like it is a very dark blue in the mag and not black. great story too.. The engine is a 1.7 litre Alfa Romeo engine..

Last edited:
I work in the classic Italian car world, so am aware of all the tricks used by people to get parts used, and the taking the scruitineers around various small garages and out to lunch whilst identification plates are changed whilst people are not looking.

However to finish first, first you have to finish.

On any race car, controlling underbonnet temperatures well allows you to make and retain peak power and reliability for as long as possible. Looking at the car its probably gives an increase in stability at speed.

Back