Non UK Madagascar

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone had first-hand experience with Air Madagascar and their carry-on baggage allowance. I'm going to be there for about 25 days later this year and Air Mada are the only game in town when it comes to flights. The major issue being their carry-on allowance is 5kg for domestic travel. It’s a photographic trip and that means 5kg is really going to be a problem. I wondered if anyone had been through this with Air Madagascar and could offer any insight. Do they check and enforce the policy?, has anyone been successful with getting an exception from them to carry more weight in advance? I’ve had a good look online and after sifting through complaints over late and cancelled flights I can’t find much information on this issue.

Thought it might be worth an ask here.

Our vague itinerary is to arrive in tana then fly down to Tulear on the south west cost and drive only the 1 direction. Then fly to Nosy Be for a few days for water based photographic and relaxation before returning to tana and home.

• London to Tana
  • Tana to Tulear next day
  • Ifaty coast and forest
  • Anakao and Tsimanampetsotsa national park
  • Zombitse NP
  • Isalo NP
  • Tsaranoro Valley/Andringitra NP (time limited here)
  • Ranomafana NP
  • Antisirabe town
  • Andasibe-Mantadia NP
  • Fly to Nosy Be
  • Whales, turtles etc
  • Return to Tana and fly home the day after

If anyone has any thoughts or thinks were missing something on that route please do say

Sounds like a great trip, we've done a lot of these parks.

One way to get round the limit is to buy an upgrade for the flight, one of the people on our trip tried this....

THe rest of the group basically stuffed all the excess weights in various pockets of jackets - not something you can do discreetly at all, certainly not with a 100-400/80-400 - and a camera hanging around the neck, then the staff were ok if the bag was approx 10kg. Tana to Tulear with 737-800 I recall so there should be no issue with the weight anyway. Tana to Morondava was on an ATR turboprop so space is a little bit more limited, again no problems, We were checked in Tana but I cannot recall being checked in Tulear.

Not doing Kirindi or Bemeraha (Tsingy)?

Are you travelling independently or in a group, or an organised trip?

Sounds like a great trip, we've done a lot of these parks.

One way to get round the limit is to buy an upgrade for the flight, one of the people on our trip tried this....

THe rest of the group basically stuffed all the excess weights in various pockets of jackets - not something you can do discreetly at all, certainly not with a 100-400/80-400 - and a camera hanging around the neck, then the staff were ok if the bag was approx 10kg. Tana to Tulear with 737-800 I recall so there should be no issue with the weight anyway. Tana to Morondava was on an ATR turboprop so space is a little bit more limited, again no problems, We were checked in Tana but I cannot recall being checked in Tulear.

Not doing Kirindi or Bemeraha (Tsingy)?

Are you travelling independently or in a group, or an organised trip?

its just me, my girlfriend (who also shoots) and a 4x4 so i think you would class that as independent. We tend to prefer more unplanned and remote trips :) Unfortunately we're not going to be able to make it up the west coast to Kirindi or Morondava on this trip. the detour was just too long to fit it.

As for flights, i'm happy to hear no-one in your group ran into trouble, i did find some info after posting the thread about contacting them before hand for large/expensive instruments and they may permit them as carry on baggage. Given the size and weight of my 500 f4 alone i think i'll contact them in advance and see what they say, it pratically breaks the limit on its own.

Just wanting to resurrect this post - I'm in a similar situation later this year.
I'll be going to Antasibe for 4 weeks followed by a week or two of touring.
I'm signed up (along with the Boss and 19yr old son) for voluntary work in Antasibe Park.
Evenings and weekends free to roam.
Then I'm taking 10 days to tour - Itinerary not yet planned and welcome some ideas.
My agenda photography (obviously) as well as giving something back.

A few concerns
- what to take? I'm thinking D750+70-200+200-500 for nature as well as X100F for street.
- How to carry it? Dont want to draw attention. Possibly want to carry on internal flight. Need a bigger backpack that I have already.
- Security? Thefts?
- Any experiences for taking photos of locals / customs?
- For weekend excursions I wont want to travel far from Antisibe - anyone have any ideas here?

Any help, experiences, or advice?

Nick

Hi Nick,

We don't leave for another 6 or 7 weeks, so unfortunately i'm not able to answer many of your questions.

My progress thus far as been banging my head against with air Madagascar, i did eventually speak to someone based in Paris, who assured me that while there is a carry on limit its 8kg and not 5kg and that if i need more weight i can buy it in additional 5kg allotments for 30euros each... He ended by stating that i may need to pay a local "tariff" at the airport ... so i would class the whole thing as a waste of time.

Essentially were going for the 'as many pockets as i can can find' approach.

Between us we will have:
D750 + 2 x D500's and a d7000 IR
nikon 300mm 2.8vr
2 x 70-200s
24-120
15-30
150-600
TCs

I'm confident we can get at least that gear on the plane. The bigger gear will be staying at home and the rest of the non critical/cheaper lenses will be hold luggage.

As for the rest, I'm afraid I'm of little help until i return.

When is your trip?

Thanks for advice and reassurance.
We're leaving via Paris mid late August too.
We'll be relying on public transport or driven but based at Antasibe for a month. Then undecided at the moment but might go for a couple of internal flights.
Will be staying at guest house but no idea on security. Gear will be insured.
Probably take a Macro lens too, plus tripod.
Should be within weight (Air France) for carry on.
Agreed lots of pockets just in case.
Would you recommend any particular backpack?
Thanks.... Nick.

Back