Madeira in March

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Got a chance of a week on Madeira in Mid-March next year.
Anyone know the island and know of any tips, suggestions or ideas.
Mostly landscape, flower, historic etc.

Believe the airport is worth a half-day, scarey landings!
Any other ideas would be great, and i've already checked the sun/moon/tide tables. Cheers.

Me and the wife visited last June and enjoyed every minute, we did the Pico Ruivo walk which was fantastic - a cloud inversion covered 3 sides...a "must do" as far as I'm concerned.

Also the walk at Baie D'Abra goes through some impressive coastal scenery and is easy to do, bus leaves directly from Funchal and drops you off at the start of the work.

Simon

I wouldn't bother with the airport. I *think* the runway problem was solved many years ago with an extension.

It's only a small island but I prefer the flexibility of a car hire. I particularly loved the scenery without the tourists along Route 110 across the middle of the Western half.

Thanks John, will try R110.
Defo hiring a car (too many hills!) for flexabillity.
The airport is still the 9th most dangerous, and there are some great youtube vids taken of the approach on windy days! The runway was extended in 2000 but the approach is very turbulant because of the hills, i believe.
Anyways, looking forward to a week of photography and thanks everyone for your input.

Thanks John, will try R110.
Defo hiring a car (too many hills!) for flexabillity.
The airport is still the 9th most dangerous, and there are some great youtube vids taken of the approach on windy days! The runway was extended in 2000 but the approach is very turbulant because of the hills, i believe.
Anyways, looking forward to a week of photography and thanks everyone for your input.

hope you have a time im going at end of November for a week still trying to sort out a tripod hoping to do some long exposures i did the mountain walk last year and its a defo got some amazing shots above the clouds and yes car is a defo

enjoy !!!

Machico is a small village on the left hand side of the island, theres a football pitch there where ronaldo started his footballing life! Theres also alot of history there. Porto Santo is well worth a visit aswell :) i have a friend there in funchal who owns a fishing boat if you want me to have a word and see if they can give you a tour? PM me if i can help :)

Thanks Guys!
will certainly PM you nearer the time, once flights booked etc.
Really nice of you to offer, thank you.

Back