Madeira. Location Advice Please

It's an absolutely brilliant place for landscape photography.

You can drive high up into the mountains (which helps) and then take one of several very dramatic high level footpaths through some spectacular scenery.

One thing that makes it special is the island''s position in the gulf stream. The prevailing air flow tends to be warm and moist and once it hits the mountains it rises and forms cloud, which quite regularly sits in amongst the mountain peaks.

I haven't got time at the mo' but later in the week I'll try and find some examples and actual locations to visit. (if I forget, send PM)

Awy from the main tourist areas there is still a bit of peasant-type farming, which could be quite a rewarding subject if you're that way inclined.

Had a great holiday there a few years ago and would certainly say that the "Lavada" ( spell ? ) walks in the hills, along the man-made water courses are spectacular and reveal some wonderful vistas. As long as the low cloud keeps away !
Have a good time,

Here's a few suggestions. You'll almost certainly need to hire a car.

Eira do Serrado, north-west-ish of Funchal. Brilliant views down into the gorge of el Rio Curral des Freiras, and across to some of the peaks. I could have stayed there all day. Cafe nearby.

Drive to Arieiro (at 1818m!), due north of Funchal. There's a cafe etc there. Take the high level path through the mountains to Pico Ruivo (at 1860m), where there is another mountain hut type place which serves drinks. I'm not sure if you can overnight at either location but it might be worth asking.

The path is well-engineered but pretty hairy in places, going through tunnels and running along sheer cliff faces, but it has a reasonable hand rail most of the way. Stunning scenery. I'm not exaggerating!

You can also drive round to Terxeira. It's a long way round, but gives you easy access to Pico Ruivo without too much walking. From there there are further high level paths although i didn't do them myself.

There are also some stunning waterfalls, which are accessible along the levada's. There are a couple in the area around Rabacal towards the west of the island (eg 25 fontes).

Levadas are irrigation channels mostly taking water from the wet north of the island to the dry south. They are almost level so generally good for walking, though in some places they do cross sheer precipices. Where they go through the dense laurel forest (I think it is) you will find that views out are pretty impossible.

Coast-wise, the Sao Lourenco peininsula to the east is very dramatic. It's accessible by road and then a good path.

There's lots more, I'm sure, so enjoy exploring. Oh, don't discount the possibility of snow on the mountain roads, either. It happens every winter.

OK i have family there cant wait to go i have only been intersted in photography for about 2 years now and i cant wait to go back if you go towards the airport from funchal and head for poise i think also i had the fortune to play the golf course up in santo da serra where if you get chance to walk the course you get to look over the Atlantic hole 6 i think on the machico course ! from the tee fantastic views also best time is in mornings for sunny time and the afternoons in mountains so you can get above the clouds!!
hope you have a wonderful time

Hi everybody,

I'm going to the Portuguese Island of Madeira in 3 weeks. Has anybody been and if so can you advise on good locations?

Thanks in advance!

take all the levada walks you can and do the peak to peak walk this will get you over all the topography.. and hopefully in good weather
cheers
geof

AA by mrcrow_uk, on Flickr

Back