Madelaine part two- on the streets of Brighton

lukewoodford

FYI, I am Luke Woodford.....by Luke Woodford
Name
Luke Woodford
Edit My Images
No
This is part two. This is my first time shooting someone somewhere so public. Infact I hardly ever do portrait shoots that isn't kids. But now the wedding side is basically built, model and portfolio shoots is going to be my focus. I must say it was great working with Madelaine, she doesn't care about things like getting changed in the street which is a big help and we just seemed to bouce ideas of each other. I hope you like what we came up with. None of these shots were planned, all we knew is we were going to head down the lanes, neither of us know Brighton that well either so it was exciting just seeing stuff and coming up with ideas.

This shot just had to be done. Thats a Banksy stencil and a new MJ Memorial.
Madelaine2213-1.jpg

madelaine2217-2.jpg

This one was Madelaine's idea, she wanted to have a centre spread with her just on one side. The scarf was quite tricky.
madelaine2255-6.jpg

madelaine2273-11.jpg

madelaine2283-12.jpg

madelaine2362-17.jpg

madelaine2368-18.jpg

madelaine2388-2.jpg

madelaine2432-8.jpg

madelaine2480-13.jpg

11 This one is probably my fave, I just couldn't resist. Im probably going to clone out the shiny circles though, they are distracting me a bit.
madelaine2536-17.jpg

madelaine2564-21.jpg

13 This one was Madelaines idea, not the easierest thing to do handheld.
madelaine2571-1.jpg

madelaine2653-26.jpg

15 This has to be random shot of the day. We were walking up to the station and we came across this blue and yellow building, she just happened to be wearing an outfit of the exact same blue. Couldn't resist.
madelaine2670-28.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Stunning, yet again!

I think the beach shot edges out in front for me but they are all fantastic.

You have a real eye and talent Luke, I really enjoy looking at your work pal, thanks for sharing!!

6 9 & 15 are my pick of the bunch but can help her pose in some of the shots 2 & 7 is not working for me. A great set and processed well.

Stunning, yet again!

I think the beach shot edges out in front for me but they are all fantastic.

You have a real eye and talent Luke, I really enjoy looking at your work pal, thanks for sharing!!

Cheers mate

6 9 & 15 are my pick of the bunch but can help her pose in some of the shots 2 & 7 is not working for me. A great set and processed well.

Hvae a look in Vogue at some of the poses- they are crazy! The first time she did the pose in two, it was a bit more extreme but it made me feel funny, I was like how the hell do you get your arms to do that! I suppose thats why she's a pro lol.

Looking at 2 again, it looks to me like she has a stomach ache!

Another great set Luke.
I'm not sure about 1,2 & 7 though.

1 looks to cluttered for me, 2 looks a bit uncomfortable & like she's had a few to many.

The rest are really excellant, but 6,8,9 & 14 are superb.

Regards Spence

Cheers mate, I do agree about #1 but its the fact of what its got in it. Banksy is a famous artist and the MJ stencil is new so I wanted to include it all anyway, If it wasn't for those things I probably wouldn't include it.

Cheers mate, I do agree about #1 but its the fact of what its got in it. Banksy is a famous artist and the MJ stencil is new so I wanted to include it all anyway, If it wasn't for those things I probably wouldn't include it.

Its just down to personal taste I think.
I just think it may have looked better without the bins?:shrug:

Banksy is pretty famous down here as well!!;)

Spence

Last edited:
I did laugh when I saw that comment and thought 'here we go again' :popcorn:

I never know if people are winding me up and they saw the infamous thread. Still could of said please though. Andy PM me which one in particular because they are all different even though they may not look it.

There is a lot of effort in these and it must have been tricky to get so many different locations in so 'hats off to ya!!' yet more great shots!

A great series - well done!

Love the processing on these Luke.

How do you emulate this style shot?

9 & 14 are great - others not bad either!

I too would love to know what type of PP went on - what was increased and decreased!

Hi Luke,

8,10, 14 &15 work really well for me. I think the MJ memorial in ~1 is a bit busy and dtracts from her. Its a nice idea but I'm struggling to think how you'd draw the eyes to her.

#7 I'm not sure about the pose

Cheers

Hugh

Hi Luke,

8,10, 14 &15 work really well for me. I think the MJ memorial in ~1 is a bit busy and dtracts from her. Its a nice idea but I'm struggling to think how you'd draw the eyes to her.

#7 I'm not sure about the pose

Cheers

Hugh

Yeah i do agree about #1 really, someone said earlier about moving the bins. When I shoot someone else in Brighton I think i'll do that.

A cracking set! I'm not too fond of the first two...

1) It looks more like a photo of a scene with a person in, rather than a photo of a person in a scene
2) I hope she didn't vomit on your shoes ;)

The rest though are beauties! The processing is really nice, and the angles, where present, work really nicely! :)

Hey Luke,
Very accomplished shots once again. To be honest you have an eye for a photo and this is more of a 'fashion' shoot. I personally don't like the ilk, but it is very commercial and definitely somewhere you need to be if you need to make a living out of photography. I think there were only two with eye contact, so possibly not portraits, but there is a debate.

I guess there is a point where you don't need feedback from a hobby forum, so it would be churlish to pick fault. It would be my opinion and based on my preferences only.

With regards to the processing, which is as much a part of your shots as the shots themselves, I would only ask if you based it on any tutorials anywhere or experimented yourself. There seem to be so many these days, that it is hard which ones to concentrate on and develop one's own style from.

Hope you will continue to post as it's always a treat for the eyes.

Graham

Hey Luke,
Very accomplished shots once again. To be honest you have an eye for a photo and this is more of a 'fashion' shoot. I personally don't like the ilk, but it is very commercial and definitely somewhere you need to be if you need to make a living out of photography. I think there were only two with eye contact, so possibly not portraits, but there is a debate.

I guess there is a point where you don't need feedback from a hobby forum, so it would be churlish to pick fault. It would be my opinion and based on my preferences only.

With regards to the processing, which is as much a part of your shots as the shots themselves, I would only ask if you based it on any tutorials anywhere or experimented yourself. There seem to be so many these days, that it is hard which ones to concentrate on and develop one's own style from.

Hope you will continue to post as it's always a treat for the eyes.

Graham

Hi Graham, first off what does ilk mean? I have no idea.

These were intended to be fashion shots, I should have made that clear in the first post, I thought they would still be classed as portraits. Ive started shooting this stuff to try and get some work in the industry. I am no superstar though and I am always hungry to improve, sometimes I won't agree with crit but I do agree the first would be better without the bins like someone said and I always take everything on board. With regards to processing I read a few bits when I first started but none really seemed to help, it's all about really understanding the program you use which come with practise. Every action I now use is created by me. I do know im not unique, especially the style of the beach shot but its all created by me and ive never directly copied. The thing is its never just one click with the action and then its done, the light and setting is different in every photo so its only a basis anyway. Also there were quite a few with eye contact but these shots stood out to me and I didn't want to post too many.

Luke

Last edited:
A great set Luke, only thing I would say is she looks uncomfortable in no.2, but that apart they're all absolute crackers!

Dave

was the blue and yellow house in sunderland by anychance? if not then theres one like it there when i visited.. or i was totally drunk and seeing random colours? lol

First cheers for sharing gives me some ideas and thats what I enjoy about looking on these threads. Gives great ideas and some extent inspiration.

I noticed there are a great number of comments and compliments, great reactions from members! Firstly I like the set, I feel your beach ones were more inspirational for me, but I think that is due to the fact I'm in that frame of mind and have moved away a little from the urban thing at the moment!

My faves of the set are:

no. 6 - it is simple and works well with the others as part of the set
no. 9 - is fab. I like the pose and the prop used, the outfit and hair styling. Great dof and processing

no.13 - is a great idea and i like the movement, although the *** in background slightly distracting and if only the carousel was spinning quicker or longer shutterspeed? for movement would be spot on.

no. 14 - I like the almost emotive portrait, tilt is good as I'm a fan of that. Again great dof. I notice you like the lower angle and including some of the foreground to lead the focus to the model, another fan of that stuff.

no. 15 - the colour contrast is spot on. pose is great and the slope adds to the image.

I like no.5 and no.3 but there are elements of these that arent as great

ok comments about the others:

no. 1 - I like the incorporating of the BANKSY graff. I'm a huge fan of his work so like that aspect, but as mentioned it's kinda a fit fussy with everything in the shot, maybe a tighter crop centred around the model?

no. 3 - I like the idea of negative space and the sheen of the shutter certainly is interesting but the scarf doesnt work.... as it's stuck on to the shutters? no real movement and the paving is distracting also. I think a big wind machine infront of her would have made the shot ;)

no. 4 - great tilt, too much surroundings in the shot? maybe a closer shot and more grit to the photo.

no. 5 - great idea I think I would have centred the handrail and evened out the shot. but its a good image

no. 7 - pose is awkward and looks like she needs the ladies.

no. 8 - dress is fab, lose the area to the left?

no. 12 - another nice emotive shot.

To sum up my long winded so called 'quick reply' Another great set and appreciate sharing. I'd love to have been on this shoot with you! The model and location is spot on and the model's attitude seems really great. Was this a paid shoot?

First cheers for sharing gives me some ideas and thats what I enjoy about looking on these threads. Gives great ideas and some extent inspiration.

I noticed there are a great number of comments and compliments, great reactions from members! Firstly I like the set, I feel your beach ones were more inspirational for me, but I think that is due to the fact I'm in that frame of mind and have moved away a little from the urban thing at the moment!

My faves of the set are:

no. 6 - it is simple and works well with the others as part of the set
no. 9 - is fab. I like the pose and the prop used, the outfit and hair styling. Great dof and processing

no.13 - is a great idea and i like the movement, although the *** in background slightly distracting and if only the carousel was spinning quicker or longer shutterspeed? for movement would be spot on.

no. 14 - I like the almost emotive portrait, tilt is good as I'm a fan of that. Again great dof. I notice you like the lower angle and including some of the foreground to lead the focus to the model, another fan of that stuff.

no. 15 - the colour contrast is spot on. pose is great and the slope adds to the image.

I like no.5 and no.3 but there are elements of these that arent as great

ok comments about the others:

no. 1 - I like the incorporating of the BANKSY graff. I'm a huge fan of his work so like that aspect, but as mentioned it's kinda a fit fussy with everything in the shot, maybe a tighter crop centred around the model?

no. 3 - I like the idea of negative space and the sheen of the shutter certainly is interesting but the scarf doesnt work.... as it's stuck on to the shutters? no real movement and the paving is distracting also. I think a big wind machine infront of her would have made the shot ;)

no. 4 - great tilt, too much surroundings in the shot? maybe a closer shot and more grit to the photo.

no. 5 - great idea I think I would have centred the handrail and evened out the shot. but its a good image

no. 7 - pose is awkward and looks like she needs the ladies.

no. 8 - dress is fab, lose the area to the left?

no. 12 - another nice emotive shot.

To sum up my long winded so called 'quick reply' Another great set and appreciate sharing. I'd love to have been on this shoot with you! The model and location is spot on and the model's attitude seems really great. Was this a paid shoot?

Thanks for the comment mate, now my reply :)

#1 Next time I would move the bins.

#3- The scarf isn't actually stuck, it just looks a bit faek. I put the shutter on continuous, she threw it in the air and thats what happened.

#4- Maybe too much surroundings, I quite like including alot of the background though.

#5 was probably the hardest shot, if I would have centred the rail I lost her feet and if I shot any wider she distorted and the space was tighter than it looks.

#7 Yeah pose really awkward, had a few more from this spot that were more normal but I wanted some crazy poses.

#8 is my fave outfit, I actually really like the whole photo.

No this wasn't a paid shoot, I have been doing a few portfolio shoots but I really wanted to work with a couple of models to see what I could come up with and im glad I did. She's a friend of mine.

Thanks for the long reply and commenting on so many photos and I do take everything said on board.

Luke

The scarf looks a bit strange... weird how the results turn out!

thanks for clearing up some of your thoughts especially no. 5! things I couldn't tell just from the shot alone.

I thought you may have hired the model (only because she has done a fab job all round and your photos show this)... but then she could have commissioned you to shoot some for her portfolio, so thanks for the info with regards to that. I think the shots are a great set for the portfolio (be up on your site soon I guess!) and the beach ones especially show the creativity. will keep an eye out on your posts ;)

nice, but doesn't look tremendously happy in any of them. If she woz my gal I'd buy her a bag of sweets...damned if that wouldn't cheer her up

The scarf looks a bit strange... weird how the results turn out!

thanks for clearing up some of your thoughts especially no. 5! things I couldn't tell just from the shot alone.

I thought you may have hired the model (only because she has done a fab job all round and your photos show this)... but then she could have commissioned you to shoot some for her portfolio, so thanks for the info with regards to that. I think the shots are a great set for the portfolio (be up on your site soon I guess!) and the beach ones especially show the creativity. will keep an eye out on your posts ;)

Cheers Oli, these will never be on www.lukewoodfordphotograhy.com because im in the process of turning it into primarily a wedding site with a few bits of kids stuff. My new site which will be up in a few days is www.livethroughimages.com which will have this type of stuff and all my personal work like hellingly, street and landscapes. Keep an eye out. If your on facebook become a fan of me, im always putting stuff on the page, I just started it 2 weeks ago -http://www.facebook.com/inbox/readmessage.php?t=1213483816513&f=1&e=0#/photographerlukewoodford

Back