Magazine asks for high res image

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
I use facebook to promote my photoghraphy which I have been doing in my spare time for two years now. Previously I have had people contact me via flickr who wished to buy a licence to use my images in publications and we have come to a deal on the fees from that. On facebook, I "liked" this page of a magazine I subscribe to and posted a few images on their page recently. One I posted on their facebook page has a comment under it from the editor of that magazine asking if I could email the high res image to her (she provided her email address).

I am not sure what to do. I kind of feel that I would like to see my image in one of my favourite magazines with my name credited to it, but at the same time I feel that there should be some fee for them to use it seeing as I drove the 50 miles to go and take the image. If I email the editor as requested but ask how much they will pay to use it before emailing, I am thinking that this may not be a "foot in the door" kind of approach that perhaps I need? If I give them the image for free, is there a chance of building up some sort of relationship for SALES in the future, as opposed to freebies?

I would welcome any opinions, but especially from anybody who has been in this situation and has a story to tell about it....

popcorn.jpg

Thanks for the decent replies. I emailed stating that I do not send high res for free. This is what I wrote...."Hi, I posted an image your facebook page this morning and you commented asking me to send the high res image. I do not email high res images for free but you are most welcome to purchase a license to use any of my images, if you wish to then you can contact me here via this email to arrange details/fees or I am on photographersdirect.com. My images can also be licensed through flickr using Getty."

That is quite clear, I think.

Not quite sure what the image of popcorn is doing in this topic... :shrug:

Last edited:
You started off well... in the UK you offer them a licenCe, so they can have a licenSed image.

The popcorn is for consumption while waiting for people like this to arrive:
largewaders10.jpg

(Credit to Women in Waders, especially if they wade in with guns blazing.)

Ok thanks, not seen any women in waders until now tbh :LOL:

I have had a reply, it went like this "Not to worry - most readers who post on our site are happy to have the extra publicity exposure in the magazine gives them. Please do keep on posting examples of your work on our website, they are stunning pics!".

So yes I have been rebuffed, but hey ho, maybe it is time for me to expect that since my images seem to be getting progressively better :D and people are asking for them.
I cannot believe that the whole magazine is made of up images which have not been LICENCED (y) and are all user contributed, but sod it, I have not lost anything.

Last edited:
I have had a reply, it went like this "Not to worry - most readers who post on our site are happy to have the extra publicity exposure in the magazine gives them.

Many people are schmucks. You aren't (y)

Please do keep on posting examples of your work on our website, they are stunning pics!.

Hmmmm... Post them where you get the credit, control and potential paying customers. Posting them on their website is obviously of value to them, and they're getting them for nowt.

I cannot believe that the whole magazine is made of up images which have not been LICENCED (y) and are all user contributed, but sod it, I have not lost anything.

http://www.future-perfect.co.uk/grammartips/grammar-tip-license-licence.asp (y)

I post low res samples on their site, maybe 2 or 3 a week. I always post them with my watermark on them and my profile on their site links to my own site as I have posted a link in my bio. They have used my one of my photos in an email promotion for the magazine in the past, but they left my watermark on and my name was credited in it so I was not bothered as it was small and part of the terms when posting images on their site that they may use it in promotions with a credit.

The email I sent back simply said "No problem Sarah, I am always happy to share low res versions of my work with others for free". Mainly because I do that already on flickr and my own website with my watermarks on and images no larger than 720pixels across.

Thanks for the grammar lesson (y)

you did the right thing IMO. Like you say... you made the effort of going and taking the pic in the first place.

Are you going to show it us then? :D

Yeah it was this pic
5653793293_58d0def74b_o.jpg

and the magazine was kent Life, part of the huge Archant publishing brand.

As you've already said, e-mail the editor and ask if they are willing to pay. They have something you want, not the other way around. A free picture now will get you no where in the future, if they aren't willing to pay now, what makes you think they are willing to pay for your pictures in the future?

You've got the right attitude with licensing your work, don't lose it, it may mean you turn your hobby into your career.

Thanks for the great comments of support in this thread. I will take this as the first of many rebuffs to come but hope that I may encounter a few who will pay for a licence along the way too. The pic is not bad, I dont like that it has a telephone wire running through it, but I still liked it enough to post it on their facebook page. I think I will be sharing less of my stuff with Archant in the future, even if it is just low res watermarked stuff, after reading some of the links in this thread. I now know why Great British Life seems to have so many photography competitions running with quite small prizes. They obviously get to use many of those non winning photos in the magazines as well as the winning ones, which means it keeps costs down for them when sourcing images for articles. They have a competition currently which will result in a party hosted by Prince Charles... http://www.greatbritishlife.co.uk/article/the-national-countryside-photography-competition-31236/

Back