Magazine recommendation please

Name
Allen
Edit My Images
Yes
Anyone recommend a film based monthly mag ? hopefully not full of adds , also not keen on electric download iPad mags

Thanks

Anyone recommend a film based monthly mag ? hopefully not full of adds , also not keen on electric download iPad mags

Thanks

I don't think that there is anything currently in print to even recommend. Well, in English anyway.

There was a film-photography issue of one of the magazines recently (might've been Amateur Photographer), but it was a one-off and didn't have anything particularly revealling to say. I think the best bet these days is to find blogs you like, or Youtube channels.

I enjoy The Online Darkroom and 35MMC as a couple of blog examples, but this site has a big list of others (I've not looked at most of these yet): https://blog.jimgrey.net/2014/05/05/film-photography-blogs-you-should-follow/
https://blog.jimgrey.net/2014/05/05/film-photography-blogs-you-should-follow/
A few film photography Youtube channels I follow are:

The Art of Photography - Not exclusively film, but there's a lot of film stuff in there and some nice features on photographers and photo books.
Matt Day
Erik Wahlstrom
Azriel Knight
Old Cameras
Eduardo Pavez Goye

There are loads of others out there, many that I subscribe to, and it really depends on what sort of thing you're interested in and the way it's presented, I suppose.

Only photography magazine I ever read is B&W Photography, not exclusively film but pretty decent.

The only film dedicted magazine I know of is PhotoKlassik - it's high quality, editorial driven, excellent image reproduction, not too many adverts.. but it's in German.

www.photoklassik.de

Thanks for that. I just checked the link, and they say that an English version is in preparation. I'll take a look at the German one though.

Their is that one magazine, Im sorry i cannot remember the name off the top of my head, but will pop in WH Smiths tomorrow, it was aimed at the professional market, and often mentioned both film and digital photography.

Only photography magazine I ever read is B&W Photography, not exclusively film but pretty decent.

Yep, me too. Its pretty good overall, a nice mix of digital and film, not too many adverts and some interesting articles.

I used to get 'Zoom' many years ago. It's still on the market. It was a high quaiity, low advert mag.

professional photography is no more which is a real shame, i found it really interesting and was going to sub to it

https://www.myfavouritemagazines.co.uk/photography/Professional-Photography-Print.html

I've got a sub to Black and White Photography but just find its starting to get a bit too hipster for my tastes so might cancel.

Looks like it's still going to be published quarterly though, which is better than it folding altogether. I agree that it's probably the best photography mag on the go at present (unless it's tutorials and the like that you're after).

There was a film-photography issue of one of the magazines recently (might've been Amateur Photographer), but it was a one-off and didn't have anything particularly revealling to say. I think the best bet these days is to find blogs you like, or Youtube channels.

I enjoy The Online Darkroom and 35MMC as a couple of blog examples, but this site has a big list of others (I've not looked at most of these yet): https://blog.jimgrey.net/2014/05/05/film-photography-blogs-you-should-follow/
A few film photography Youtube channels I follow are:

The Art of Photography - Not exclusively film, but there's a lot of film stuff in there and some nice features on photographers and photo books.
Matt Day
Erik Wahlstrom
Azriel Knight
Old Cameras
Eduardo Pavez Goye

There are loads of others out there, many that I subscribe to, and it really depends on what sort of thing you're interested in and the way it's presented, I suppose.

Awesome mate, was following almost all of them already but there were a couple I hadn't heard of (y)

Don`t know if you have heard about readly, read magazines online using tablet/pc or phone. You can get a couple of weeks trial free and might find a magazine or 2

https://gb.readly.com/

Thanks for the suggestions , will have a look

:film:

When I visited the local library I used to read the AP, but with cuts maybe they don't stock it anymore?

When I visited the local library I used to read the AP, but with cuts maybe they don't stock it anymore?

I subscribed to AP , Cancelled it , far to many adds

As mentioned, go and have a look at Readly. £8 a month for all the top photo mags and over 120 other titles. Can be read on 5 devices. So that's the wife and a couple of ankle snappers covered as well.

Only subscription i have ever taken out.

Well you can't complain if it's free in the library ;)
If I recall correctly Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code was available to borrow for free from many libraries, that doesn't stop it being one of the most appalling books ever written and it wouldn't stop me complaining if I inadvertently borrowed it.

If I recall correctly Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code was available to borrow for free from many libraries, that doesn't stop it being one of the most appalling books ever written and it wouldn't stop me complaining if I inadvertently borrowed it.

At leas I only wasted a couple of hours and that Dan Brown pish. I see your Da Vinci code and raise you Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco, a book so long, convoluted, tedious, preposterous and poncey that even Brian Sewell wouldn't dare read it. There's 3 months of my life I won't be getting back. :banghead::D

Actually it is quite informative e.g. for different religious groups after the year AD where they were all trying to get "power" and of course the catholic religion (as we roughly know it) won in the end....the film life of Brian made a humorous remark about it i.e. "I say you are, Lord, and I should know, I've followed a few" ;)

Actually it is quite informative e.g. for different religious groups after the year AD where they were all trying to get "power" and of course the catholic religion (as we roughly know it) won in the end....the film life of Brian made a humorous remark about it i.e. "I say you are, Lord, and I should know, I've followed a few" ;)
Informative it may be, entertaining it's not, a plot so full of holes it puts a colander to shame.
At leas I only wasted a couple of hours and that Dan Brown pish. I see your Da Vinci code and raise you Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco, a book so long, convoluted, tedious, preposterous and poncey that even Brian Sewell wouldn't dare read it. There's 3 months of my life I won't be getting back. :banghead::D
Yes, you're right, not a patch on the light hearted romp The Name of the Rose and if you look in the dictionary under unfathomable it says "see Focoault's Pendulum"

One book I could not and would not pick up let alone read is that auto biography about war criminal Blair. Just thinking about that book makes my stomach churn

Thanks for that. I just checked the link, and they say that an English version is in preparation. I'll take a look at the German one though.
Especially since the international version doesn't seem to happen. They're at 7143 € (goal: 150000 €) and the deadline is in 3 hrs ... ;-) -> https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/974395388/photoklassik-magazine-international-edition

It's not a huge loss though. True: It's the only printed magazine about analog photography I know of but it's not really worth the money. Lots of articles are from amateur writers and some articles read as if they were written for a school newspaper. There could be way more "how tos" and tests like lab tests but instead they print portfolios and general news I can also read on the net ...

Back