"Magic Drainpipe" Canon 80-200 f/2.8L - Anyone used one?

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
No
I know this is a very old lens, but from what I've read it's quite the optical performer. Has anyone here used it?

I realise it lacks USM, IS etc. of the newer lenses but I feel like a a 70-200 sort of lens would be useful and I'd value having the 2.8 aperture and much more subtle paint finish over the USM offered by the newer f/4L...

Again I realise they're pretty hard to come by nowadays, but just in the sense of keeping my eyes out for one and knowing more about it if I do see one. It was a centrepiece of Canon's professional range up until the newer 70-200s were introduced so it must have been both quite widely sold and quite the performer

hens_teeth.jpg

haha very true, but it's always worth knowing as most I've been reading about these lenses has put them down as pretty damn wonderful :)

I used to have one back in the day and it could keep up with premiership football speeds on the old eos 1 film camera. Just about everyone had one at the time and it was very sharp. The 70-200 focusses a little bit quicker and is quieter but get a good price and you won't be disappointed

They are very sharp, but the minimum focus distance is 1.8m so pretty bad even on crop for a tight portrait at anything but 200mm. The focus is slower, very noisy, and the lens must be used with the hood, otherwise it will be flare all over.
Finally most of them are pretty destroyed by now, so you'll get their remains.

If you feel like saving the cash get the excellent 70-200mm f/4, or try your luck with tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 which doesn't have the best AF but is sharp and cheap

I have one, still in very regular use. While the focus is slower than the 70-200 and it's a lot noisier to focus I can't seem to justify upgrading to a newer 70-200 as my 80-200 is pretty damn sharp! They do pop up in eBay now and again, prices are normally around the £350-£400 mark.

The minimum focus distance is a pain I have to admit, but as I have used it for so long I dob't seem to notice.

I also love the fact that it is black.

Possibly a worthwhile note.....Canon extenders won't fit this lens.

Bob

While I could see the 1.8m minimum focusing distance getting to be a pain, I don't think it'd be enough to kill of me wanting this lens over the f/4 particularly as a studio lens (not exclusively studio obv or the f/4L would suit better). I rarely find myself in situations where quiet focus is a must and if it can keep up with sports as well as it's known to, I have no use for it that would require more focusing speed than it can offer.

In any case I have a 2.8 macro in this range for real close work and will most likely have bought the 135 f/2.0 as well, again taking the close headshot role.

I guess I'll keep my eyes out for one at a reasonable price then, even if partially as a collector's piece. Wary of the bay as ever but I guess reputable sellers should be okay.

Last edited:
Possibly a worthwhile note.....Canon extenders won't fit this lens.

Bob

I use a Kenko DGX 1.4x with mine and that works beautifully. I have used this combination for low level aircraft photography on a 40D, so not the best autofocus and it worked very well. On the 1D MkIIn I have now it keeps up with tracking cars and aircraft etc without much noise at all.

One slight annoyance is the Ø72mm filter thread, and the hood is quite shallow.

I guess I'll keep my eyes out for one at a reasonable price then, even if partially as a collector's piece. Wary of the bay as ever but I guess reputable sellers should be okay.

Maybe you will find a mint one sold by an old aged amateur but expect to pay a lot for it. They were only sold in for a few years since the very start of EOS and were mostly acquired by pros - and are totally destroyed by now.

Maybe you will find a mint one sold by an old aged amateur but expect to pay a lot for it. They were only sold in for a few years since the very start of EOS and were mostly acquired by pros - and are totally destroyed by now.

There was one in good condition at Aperture a couple of week ago, I tried it. Its bloody heavy though!

Back