Beginner Magic Lantern

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
I have both a Canon 600d and a Canon 70d, I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on using the Magic Lantern firmware. The improved specs on the 600d look amazing, It is mainly targeted at video use, but on the stills side there are considerable upgrades, example: 9 shot raw HDR two stops apart if you need it, automatic stack focusing shots etc..

ML have not yet got around to getting the wrinkles out of the version for the 70d yet. Any help would be appreciated as documentation for this program is very thin on the ground.

Hi, Use it all the time on my 600D, absolutely the must have firmware for me.
The additional options it gives compared to Canon is really a great option and I only use a camera for photography not video.
HDR options as you say allows 9 shots and even can decide itself how many a scene needs, the dual ISO option for moving HDR subjects works well.
Focus stacking, auto ETTR, intervalometer and the list goes on.
As you can see I am a lover of MagicLantern especially for the 600D as it is the body I carry around. Have a 6D also but not tried M/L on that.
There is plenty of info on there site so documentation is really not thin on the ground. The forum has info a plenty with some subjects running into the thousands of postings.
Get it, Try it and sure you will not be unhappy.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/
Oh yes just incase it should worry out of the thousands that have placed it on a CF or SD card the percentage of problems in cameras is so low it's not worth thinking about.
Your 70D has wireless then try QDSLRDashboard connecting the camera to an Android tablet/phone this is what I use with the 6D. Same kind of options as MagicLantern but not so many.
http://dslrdashboard.info/

Russ

Last edited:
Thanks Russ for your prompt advice. I'll have to look at those Magic Lantern forums, I'll also have a look at that QDSLRDashboard for the 70d that you also mentioned, two problems mind, I only have a windows phone and don't use any form of tablet just windows PC's.

Thanks Russ for the second link. I hadn't come across that before, and I'll certainly be giving it a check out.

windows PC. There is this on the introduction page of QDSLR "Currently it runs on Android, iOS, Linux, OSX and Windows platforms"

Back