Magic Optical Image Stabiliser

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
No
I’ve been looking for a cheap compact for my daughter, so visited a shop to look at some.

The salesman started with his pitch and got on to the image stabiliser.
To explain this, he started waving his hand in front of the camera and then took a picture.
I was blown away, had Panasonic really invented something that could stabilise the subject!
I began to think of how good this would be; the camera could stop my children fidgeting when I wanted to photograph them, birds would stop twitching and anything blowing in the wind would suddenly freeze.
If Panasonic had found a way to freeze motion, was it linked to pausing time, would next years feature be time travel so we could capture the image we wanted 10 seconds before the one we got?
Or was it a tractor beam like the Death Star had in Star Wars that would control the subject for a split second.
Thankfully I came to my senses, he was trying to explain camera shake.

Had this been in a large shop that sold more than just cameras, I wouldn't have been surprised at the lack of understanding of the product, but this was a shop dedicated to cameras.
That said, camera salesman or not, how did he think the camera would stabilise his waving hand!

I began to think of how good this would be; the camera could stop my children fidgeting when I wanted to photograph them, birds would stop twitching and anything blowing in the wind would suddenly freeze.!
My camera can do all of those things. I just dial in a fast shutter speed.

To be fair to him, I think somebody was touting a fast shutter speed as a form of image stabilisation, albeit at the expense of noise. Also, some shops tend to hire sales persons rather than people who really know their stuff.

Back