Magmod

C

Cass2017

Anyone use any of their kit for general flash modification? Wanted to know if it was any good? Will buy the other brand if it is as it's not cheap.

I have 2 starter sets, all the colours and the magsphere. I don't have anything to compare it to but I think it works fine, I bought mine straight from them in the US and even after tax, it worked out £100 cheaper than th price on WEX today, I don't think I would pay for it again though, I don't use them all that much.

for general flash modification

There is no such thing. What is that you want a modifier to do for you?

I can guarantee that this device (or rather these type of devices, sometimes called beginners tax) can do anything that I can't do better and for a lot less using good, experienced lighting knowledge and the most basic kit.

This is ridiculous, and you will hit yourself in two years when you know better.

Last edited:
There is no such thing. What is that you want a modifier to do for you?

I can guarantee that this device (or rather these type of devices, sometimes called beginners tax) can do anything that I can't do better and for a lot less using good, experienced lighting knowledge and the most basic kit.

This is ridiculous, and you will hit yourself in two years when you know better.
Agreed. Unnecessary and overpriced. If you want to buy gadgets, why not buy reasonably priced ones?

Agreed. Unnecessary and overpriced. If you want to buy gadgets, why not buy reasonably priced ones?

I've seen some great work with the Magmod beam and it's pattern modifiers. But, to buy all the bits of kit to use those, you're looking at around £350.

Do you know of an alternative for less?

Lencarta does a very reasonably priced shoot with honeycomb, and a diffuser ball. There's nothing else that can't be done with a bit of blackwrap and a few gels, plus common sense and imagination.

Lencarta does a very reasonably priced shoot with honeycomb, and a diffuser ball. There's nothing else that can't be done with a bit of blackwrap and a few gels, plus common sense and imagination.
and if you want super cheap light control (obviously not pattern projection so much) WH Smith's sells disposable snoots in packs of 25. They call them "A4 black card". £3.95. You need to supply your own black gaff to hold the tube together though :p

Edit: - just looked at the new Lencarta one - it's £11.98 - at that price it's just rude not to :p
https://www.lencarta.com/flashgun-snoot-with-honeycomb-grid

Last edited:
What do you use for gobos to go in the lightblaster?

I use the metal "creative kit" ones that they make. Plus Rosco size E sandwiched in a 35mm slide sized bit of card (goes in the slide holder). They are quite expensive at £15 each but there is an enormous library: http://www.goboplus.com/stock-gobos/gobos.html

IMG_2370-Website.jpg

The Mag Mod stuff looks interesting and is quick to use but screw paying that much for speedlite grids. The grids would see the most use with me.

I opted for Opteka grids for my speedlites which are a bargain at £12 a unit. They just take a little longer to fit.

I know people with the light blaster and mag mod stuff. Guess how much they get used.

Back