Magners League Semi Final

Name
Jason
Edit My Images
Yes
Magners League Semi Final - Munster v Ospreys
This is my first time bringing my camera to a rugby match and I think I got a few good shots, I would likke to hear what you think though.
5721860456_ba94f87646.jpg
[/url] DONNCHA Great Tackle by JayMPhoto, on Flickr[/IMG]
5721301553_50594eda53.jpg
[/url] Keep your eye on the ball by JayMPhoto, on Flickr[/IMG]
5721301481_063f1349e4.jpg
[/url] Going nowhere by JayMPhoto, on Flickr[/IMG]
5721860240_5862572edd.jpg
[/url] On its way by JayMPhoto, on Flickr[/IMG]
5721860146_5a8baa139f.jpg
[/url] Big Hit by JayMPhoto, on Flickr[/IMG]

Im looking for some advice, I set my camera to TV mode and tried between 1/500 - 1/800 and put ISO on auto, would this be the best approach? or should I be trying something different?

My impressions...

#1 - My favourite. Sharp and good colours.
#2 - Unavailable.
#3 - Nice timing but for me there is too much of the guy's, er, 'back' in the shot. Also, I would prefer a looser crop.
#4 - Again your timing is good but I would try to isolate the kicker and ball from the background by opening up aperture.
#5 - Too tight a crop for me, and your horizon is off!

I hope that helps and doesn't seem too harsh. For first time they are excellent shots. (y)

Col

Hi Jay,

Again this one could do with a looser crop, to get the whole ball and the player on the left in to complement the guy on the right.

I'm just an occasional amateur - you'll find a wealth of info on this forum from pros and experienced amateurs eager to help out. Most pros (I believe) go for manual exposure unless the light conditions will be constantly changing eg. scudding clouds etc. but a common approach for starting out is to use Av rather than Tv, and get a good wide aperture to isolate the action, eg. f4 and aim for a shutter speed of around 1/1000 adjusting the ISO when needed. Auto ISO must be great to have (I don't).

A couple of other things - always get the ball in shot unless there is a good reason not to, and get low down (which you already seem to be doing).

I shoot AI Servo AF, single centre point (but sometimes get probs when the action is off centre but that's another thread!).

Oh, finally, shoot a bit wider - you can always crop in PP (do as I say not as I do!).

I hope that helps. Good luck! (y)

Col

Thanks Colin for taking the time to reply, i really appreciate the tips and advice. Im going to try full manual next time. Auto ISO is great for cloudy days which it was for those, sunny one minute and cloudy next, I would have missed half the action without it. I wonder can I use auto ISO on manual.... anyway thanks again!!

Im looking for some advice, I set my camera to TV mode and tried between 1/500 - 1/800 and put ISO on auto, would this be the best approach? or should I be trying something different?
If lighting is decent and consistent shoot manual, if not or youre not comfortable shoot in AV mode with aperture wide open which will give you better seperation between player and background, you can then set auto ISO if needed, i try to shoot at a minimum 1000th sec shutter speed regardless of light conditions but my kit allows this, you would struggle in poor light.

Ignore what people tell you about keeping horizons level, level horizons only work if youre shooting a subject directly in line with you, if youre shooting from behind the posts but across the ground your horizons shouldnt be level anyway, they simply cant be, you need to look to keep your verticals vertical and horizons will be as you see them not as others think you should see them, remember, verticals not horizons, it makes sense if you think about it.

Take a peek at my website for a few pointers, theres some top level League and Union stuff on there

Last edited:
Back