Magnets, mobile phones and DSLRs

Edit My Images
No
Hi everyone,

This is a very strange question, but I have trawled through Google and no answers seemed conclusive.

My question is really at anyone who uses a camera bag with a magnetic closure. Have you ever had any experience with memory cards being wiped, damage to camera/lens/flash.

And do you carry a mobile phone all day in the same bag as your camera gear?

Thanks in advance!

iv'e never heard or experienced any problems concerning camera bags with magnetic closure
if you think about it where mobile phones are concerned you can buy magnetic phone holders i would think there would be a lot of disaster stories if they were harmful to the phone
memory cards on the whole are solid state it would take a very strong magnet to do any harm and even then i'm not so sure it would, the type of magnets your talking about are not really that strong

although i wouldn't recommend sticking magnets near memory cards or cameras ( or phones ) the type of magnets used on the camera bags wouldn't be a concern to me
i do have a camera bag i keep a 40d in with a magnetic clasp and no harm has come to anything i have put in the bag

Flash memory is transistor based, not magnetic (like computer hard drives) so a magnet will have zero effect in reality unless you put it in an MRI machine or some such.

Cosmicma great answer thank you, thats just what I wanted to hear. I was being over cautious due to the high cost of camera gear.

But when you think about it any reputable camera bag manufacturer wouldn't use anything that would cause harm, just wanted to make sure there are no horror stories out there as I will be using it for full day wedding photography.

Many thanks

If you are really worried, get yourself a little aluminium card case like this one;
$_1.JPG

it's not a wall impenetrable to magnetic fields, but will give a bit of distance between the magnet and the card, they aren't powerful magenets on those enclosures anyway. Whatever you do though, don't put a hotel keycard next to the magnet though.

My mobile phone case has a magnetic closure and has shown no problems in the time I've had it. Mrs Nod had her old phone in a similar case for 2 years with no problem. The only thing I'm a bit careful of with magnets is my watch (50+ year old automatic wind).

because there are some magnets out there that could cause damage
take this one for example
http://www.first4magnets.com/rectan...ngest-grade-neodymium-magnet-116kg-pull-p3785

i don't know if you have actually had a play with one of those or a similar sized neodymium magnet but they are ridiculously strong
the fear would be the damn thing pulling bits out of shape especially moving metal parts within a camera for example

bit extreme but there ya go :)

Just had a play inside an old, dead film body I've got kicking around and am surprised by the amount of magnetic bits, especially the shutter actuating levers/arms. Even the small noticeboard type magnet I was investigating with was strong enough to pull the shutter blades out of flat, although they returned to flat when I removed the magnet.

Back