Magnification with TC

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Does the addition of a TC increase the native magnification of a lens?
The reason behind the question is I have a Fuji 60mm macro a 16mm and 11mm extn tubes and a fuji 1.4 TC.
By using the following set up Camera >16mm tube >11mm tube >1.4 TC >60mm macro the combination all fits and retains AF ( just) together but I cannot find out if the TC is contributing anything to the set up in terms of magnification.

Yes it does......1.4x whatever the lens is capable of without it.

Thank you for that, the increase in magnification using that combo is marginal 1.02 with TC against 0.95 without the TC and just the tubes but at the price of slower AF speed so probably not worth it.
Thanks again

The effect of the extension tubes is reduced when using the TC as the focal length of the tube/lens pair has increased.

Yes the use of the extension tubes in order to make the TC fit negates the use of the TC.
Looks like there might be a 1.4 TC in the for sale section.

A few years ago, someone here (IIRC!) did some experiments using a combination of tubes and TCs in assorted orders. Sorry, can't remember who or when. MIGHT have been @HoppyUK but might not - he's a good place to start!

A few years ago, someone here (IIRC!) did some experiments using a combination of tubes and TCs in assorted orders. Sorry, can't remember who or when. MIGHT have been @HoppyUK but might not - he's a good place to start!

Not guilty :)

If you want to increase the magnification try TC, tubes, lens as the TC will then magnify the effect of the tubes. At least, that was what I was taught twenty years ago by a master of macro photography.

If you want to increase the magnification try TC, tubes, lens as the TC will then magnify the effect of the tubes. At least, that was what I was taught twenty years ago by a master of macro photography.

Yes that does work but it seems that it is better with shorter FL's the longer the FL the less is the effect of the TC-at least that is what the maths indicate.

Yes, that's right. With longer lenses you're better off with a screw-on close-up lens or reversed short prime than tubes.

Back