LC2

Negan
Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
I will update this thread throughout the year as and when I get the chance to shoot Steam on the Main Line.
Let's hope I get a few different shots from last year...

To start the year off we have the 02/04/2016 Devon Belle, Waterloo - Exeter - Victoria passing through Clapham at 08:10
The M8Y / Matey reporting numbers are a tribute to Ray Towell (of the NRM) who passed away this week. RIP Ray.

LNER Peppercorn Class A1 60163 Tornado - Clapham Junction
by Tim White, on Flickr

by Tim White, on Flickr

by Tim White, on Flickr

Magic. I'm gonna watch this thread.

I really like the B&W,Tim. Excellent shots.

I went to Patney,Wilts. (east of Frome/Somerton) to see it on its return journey as the nearest outward-bound was too far away. I only just managed it re. light. I wondered why that number was on the front. I can't post it because I think there's something wrong with the card reader. Lightroom4 is telling me it can't import..then gave the list of numbers,it imported 5 but they were of the view from the bridge so I'd recall it,none of the loco.

Love the color of the first one! It works well with the overall feeling!

Nice to see the programme seems to be filling up again, though I am annoying with myself that I didn't check earlier as I missed an opportunity to get some shots on the unelectrified Crewe-Shrewsbury-Chester journey from a couple of days ago.

Nice to see the programme seems to be filling up again, though I am annoying with myself that I didn't check earlier as I missed an opportunity to get some shots on the unelectrified Crewe-Shrewsbury-Chester journey from a couple of days ago.

Mike..I just happened to look at the schedule last week and the day previously the ban on the WCRC was lifted . I read the letter sent to them by the authorities..it's there to be seen at the top of the UKSteam schedule…blue link..a PDF file. They needed suspending. I was talking to an enthusiast whilst waiting for Tornado on Saturday last and he said that the same driver who closed down the signal alert at Wootten Bassett did the same thing at a later date. He's being prosecuted.

Look out for 46100 Royal Scott April 16 Crewe to Carlisle,it's been re-routed now Crewe > Shap >Carlisle.

I see you missed 45699-Galatea.. That would have made a super photo.I love that BR Maroon livery of it and I see it's being run by WCRC so it should get into our SW region. I'm eagerly awaiting 'Lizzie' too. Must be a subtle difference in the red shade..it's called crimson lake.

I'll keep an eye out for 46100 - I missed it in Crewe a few weeks ago as well. Trouble is, so much of the track out of Crewe is electrified, that's why I'm annoyed I missed the Shrewsbury / Chester trip as there are no wires - North Wales coast is another good wire-free spot. Oh well, my fault.

The Devon Belle was run by DBC rather than WCRC, but I agree that it's a good thing that they've been allowed back on the mainline.
The most important thing is that they remain safe so that we can continue to enjoy mainline steam.

Thanks for the comments.

A little bit too head on but here are a few shots from the Flying Moneypit passing through Feltham Station on the evening Cathedrals Express on 25/05/2016.
Today was her first outings on the London Victoria - Shalford loop, though taking a slightly unusual route.

LNER Class A3 60103 Flying Scotsman
by Tim White, on Flickr

by Tim White, on Flickr

by Tim White, on Flickr

Crowds were fairly light, I think that there were more police on the platform than spectators.
Not sure it will be the same next week though (as it's half term). Not sure I want to brave Clapham Junction for 4472 yet either...

Two days later (27th May) Tornado on the Belmond British Pullman.
No Diesel assistance for this one.

The first few are at Clapham Junction.

by Tim White, on Flickr

by Tim White, on Flickr

by Tim White, on Flickr

The remainder at West Byfleet.

LNER Peppercorn Class A1 60163 Tornado - West Byfleet
by Tim White, on Flickr

LNER Peppercorn Class A1 60163 Tornado - West Byfleet
by Tim White, on Flickr

There are a few more on my flickr.

There was a good deal of heat haze evident on the longer distance shots, so quite a few shots went straight in the bin.

Last edited:
It's been a fair few weeks since I've seen any mainline steam in the south.

From yesterday (not the greatest shots due to crowds!)
Royal Scot - 46115 "Scots Guardsman"

LMS Royal Scot Class 46115 - Scots Guardsman
by Tim White, on Flickr

LMS Royal Scot Class 46115 - Scots Guardsman
by Tim White, on Flickr

And from this morning, Bulleid Pacific 34046 Braunton masquerading as 34052 - Lord Dowding

BR Class 37 - 37 685
by Tim White, on Flickr

BR Class 37 - 37 685
by Tim White, on Flickr

Hmmm, what's that tractor doing...

There has been very little mainline steam here in the south this year.
This may be my last image of the thread.
LMS Royal Scot - 46100 approaching Feltham West on it's return to WCR Southall from a weekend at the Mid Hants Railway.

LMS Royal Scot - 46100 approaching Feltham Station
by Tim White, on Flickr

Really good set,Tim. Excellent quality, as ever. We've been away on holiday,hence the delay in viewing.. Nothing here until the 19th. Bristol > Chester Black Fives,weather permitting of course..I should catch them at Severn Crossing Junction.

Reactions: LC2
Excellent,Tim. No sign of noise that I cane see.

I'm hoping to catch 'Braunton' tomorrow (Saturday 17th) running as Lord Dowding,as you'll know of course, at Crofton near Bedwyn..1039 It was originally Princess Elizabeth,then Royal Scot. It will be touch and go re. light conditions as it brightens up late morning g into the afternoon but it's shaping up for a foggy night here.

Fingers crossed on the light for you John. Though if it's foggy enough, it might give some decent effects.
I'm pondering Tornado tomorrow, there's no way I'm getting up to Victoria for Brauton's 07:15 departure despite the fact that one of OVS Bulleid's rebuilt light pacifics is a far more impressive sight than an A1

Signing off from my 2016 Mainline Steam thread with the loco which started the year, Tornado.
A little different from my normal locations, today's shots were taken at Brentford. The route taken to get her here was pretty convoluted, due to the main line from Clapham to Barnes being shut for engineering work.

Peppercorn A1 60163 - Tornado
by Tim White, on Flickr

by Tim White, on Flickr

by Tim White, on Flickr

by Tim White, on Flickr

by Tim White, on Flickr

Quite a misty day all day today. #3 is my favourite of the set.

A great set to finish off with,Tim. Looks a bit foggy/murky and as you say, it's enhanced the photos. My favourite is leaving the bridge.

Many thanks for a superb 2016 thread, the images really have been excellent and a joy to view.

Re. Braunton today. Awful light here. The fog lifted soon after sunrise but left dull lifeless skies resulting in very poor light so I abandoned the trip. A three hour round trip it would have been.

Cheers,

John

A great set to finish off with,Tim. Looks a bit foggy/murky and as you say, it's enhanced the photos. My favourite is leaving the bridge.

Many thanks for a superb 2016 thread, the images really have been excellent and a joy to view.

Re. Braunton today. Awful light here. The fog lifted soon after sunrise but left dull lifeless skies resulting in very poor light so I abandoned the trip. A three hour round trip it would have been.

Cheers,

John
Thanks John.
There's a little bit of me that says I should go up to Paddington for her 23:15 arrival, but getting home again would be quite difficult (I guess the Night Tube and a night bus from Heathrow...)
Doubt I will though.

Thanks John.
There's a little bit of me that says I should go up to Paddington for her 23:15 arrival, but getting home again would be quite difficult (I guess the Night Tube and a night bus from Heathrow...)
Doubt I will though.

Mmm. Sounds too hard to me..Lol. Well,with living down there, you'll know very well the travails of such a journey. Enthusiasm should be but often isn't, tempered by reality, hard as it is. :D

Nothing in this region until March 1st. but then a few in that month.

Mmm. Sounds too hard to me..Lol. Well,with living down there, you'll know very well the travails of such a journey. Enthusiasm should be but often isn't, tempered by reality, hard as it is. :D

Nothing in this region until March 1st. but then a few in that month.
I didn't go. Far too much like hard work.
We've got Victoria to Folkstone next week (I won't be there, I'll be at work) and then there is nothing booked out of the southern termini until the first week in Feb.
I suspect I'll get to the Mid Hants between Christmas and the New Year, then the Grand Central Gala in late Jan.

I didn't go. Far too much like hard work.
We've got Victoria to Folkstone next week (I won't be there, I'll be at work) and then there is nothing booked out of the southern termini until the first week in Feb.
I suspect I'll get to the Mid Hants between Christmas and the New Year, then the Grand Central Gala in late Jan.

Common sense prevailed then…well done..:)

Hi Tim, just stumbled across this thread, I'd like to add a picture I took on my way to work one Saturday back in June

Just happened too have my camera with me

by Willid1 on Talk Photography

Flying Scotsman heading north out of the Elstree tunnel - taken from the end of the platform at Elstree and Borehamwood station.

It looked fantastic coming out of the tunnel with the smoke billowing around but I would have needed about 800mm of lens to get the shot.

David

Last edited:
Oh for those warm sunny summer days...
Good photo of her. I only managed to see her through my local station, your backdop is easier on the eye (except for the OHL, but there isn't much anyone can do about that these days).

Back