Mainline Steam 2017

LC2

Negan
Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
This will be my 3rd annual Mainline Steam thread.
Expect more of the same locations and locomotives...

To start the year off, the 4th February Belmond British Pullman hauled by LNER Peppercorn A3, 60163 - Tornado.

These shots are from my familiar spot at Feltham station, the old concrete SR bridge next to Feltham West Level Crosing.
This crossing and bridge should be going sometime this year (planned removal May), with the platforms extended to allow full length 10 car trains to stop fully on the platform. So you might get more of this location (and less of Clapham) than usual to record trains passing through a location that will be forever changed soon.

LNER Peppercorn Class A1 60163 Tornado
by Tim White, on Flickr

by Tim White, on Flickr

by Tim White, on Flickr

My favourites of the three are #1 & #3, for the close up and for the way the light has caught the exhaust.

Whilst I like your photos, I am somewhat surprised at your comment that the level crossing is going to be closed. Is that really what is going to happen?

Whilst it follows the Peppercorn LNER/BR build design, as this particular loco was not built until the 21st Century, complete with the latest safety gear and other improvements, attribution should surely be to the 'A1 Steam Locomotive Trust', to basically a LNER/BR A.H. Peppercorn design? The last BR A1 was otherwise removed from service and cut up in 1966.

Whilst I like your photos, I am somewhat surprised at your comment that the level crossing is going to be closed. Is that really what is going to happen?
Unfortunately yes, at least according to the plans (which seem to have disappeared from the LBH site).
THis article shows an artist impression
http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/news/west-london-news/green-protest-ribbons-appear-ugly-11027047
If you follow the line of the road from the bottom right, where it crosses the line is where the crossing currently is.

Whilst it follows the Peppercorn LNER/BR build design, as this particular loco was not built until the 21st Century, complete with the latest safety gear and other improvements, attribution should surely be to the 'A1 Steam Locomotive Trust', to basically a LNER/BR A.H. Peppercorn design? The last BR A1 was otherwise removed from service and cut up in 1966.
Yes, I guess I was being a little disingenuous calling it LNER, when in-fact Tornado was completed in 2008.
I guess A1 Steam Trust is correct, but it is to the LNER design (albeit modernised).

These are so sharp, Tim. Stunning. Apart from getting it right on location you're obviously an expert with the editing too.

As I mentioned to Michael,we've had nothing through here since December. To my shame Transport slipped my mind but fortunately, the recent photos are quite recent. I've been doing birds for 4 weeks and our Cornwall christmas/New Year holiday.

Tornado is due through here March 1st. Next pass is May 29th. We will be in Cornwall,near Lizard and as it's travelling from Paddington to Penzance I'll get it down there. Now I need to check out where to see it.I have no idea..maybe just the station there. I'll check Google Earth.I assume the station will have a lot of enthusiasts as it doesn't get visits very often.

I've never understood why the crossings are called level crossings,apart from the obvious. I wonder why not just railway crossings ? I think some do call them railway crossings.

Do you know of any websites that cover all planned steam journies in the UK or at least anything passing over the Ribblehead Viaduct?

There have only been 3 or 4 steam charters on the Reading / Windsor line since March and I've managed to not be available for any of them.
Hopefully we'll soon get a Bulleid, I know we have Clan Line due in June, but it would be nice to see Braunton and / or British India Line sometime soon.

So for now, I'm afraid we have to make do with the LNER A3 - Flying Moneypit.

LNER Class A3 60103 Flying Scotsman
by Tim White, on Flickr

LNER Class A3 60103 Flying Scotsman
by Tim White, on Flickr

I've never understood why the crossings are called level crossings,apart from the obvious. I wonder why not just railway crossings ? I think some do call them railway crossings.

I suspect to differentiate from bridges and underpasses, which is probably what you meant by 'apart from the obvious'. A mate of mine spent many years involved in track design, if I remember I'll ask him whether he knows where the terminology came from, assuming it is railway terminology that is.

Some nice clean shots in here. I have one or two to post but will start another critique thread.

I really like the second one,Tim. It has more presence.

I think I've mentioned it on here before but maybe not. I don't like the Witte (german) smoke deflectors which I read were fitted in 1961 following problems with the converted (from a single) double chimney fitted in 1959. However, the double chimney was converted back to a single in in 1963 so I wonder why they kept the Witte deflectors..assuming the problems re the smoke with the double no longer existed ? As you know,originally it didn't have deflectors.

The hoards of people who go to see it don't realise how many times it's morphed and is not the original with replaced parts as they wore out.

I really like the second one,Tim. It has more presence.

I think I've mentioned it on here before but maybe not. I don't like the Witte (german) smoke deflectors which I read were fitted in 1961 following problems with the converted (from a single) double chimney fitted in 1959. However, the double chimney was converted back to a single in in 1963 so I wonder why they kept the Witte deflectors..assuming the problems re the smoke with the double no longer existed ? As you know,originally it didn't have deflectors.

It's still got the double chimney John, hence the BR livery and the deflectors.
It's not at all obvious in the second shot, but if you look closely at the first, you can see the additional length.

Not much running locally until this week.
Missed 60009 through Clapham Mid-Week due to late running by SWR combined with 60009 being 2 minutes up losing me the 20 minutes I had allowed to get ready. Ah well...

Saturday morning (06:49) saw 60009 again through Clapham on her way to York.

LNER A4 60009 - Union of South Africa
by Tim White, on Flickr

LNER A4 60009 - Union of South Africa
by Tim White, on Flickr

Then, 50 minutes later (10 down) Bulleid Merchant Navy 35028 - Clan Line draws into Clapham to pick up passengers for the Atlantic Coast Express to Exeter.

Bulleid Merchant Navy 35028 - Clan Line
by Tim White, on Flickr

by Tim White, on Flickr

Departing a few minutes later on the Reading / Windsor main line

by Tim White, on Flickr

The wreath on her smokebox to mark the passing of David Shepherd last week.

Playing catch up here,Tim. Timings.. Ugh. Tell me about it. :rolleyes: .

Good shots of 60009. It's been about a lot in our region but nevertheless, different locations are always nice to have.

I goggled 'why the wreath on Clan Line ?' but to no avail. I really like the close-ups of it. It's a real shame that trackside maintenance has been cut back so much..in some places to none,I'm sure.

On to the third of today's kettles out of Victoria. A bit like buses, none for ages and then 3 come along together ;)

LMS Royal Scot, 46100 "Royal Scot" hauling the Victoria to Victoria "Bellmond British Pullman".

These shots aren't at Clapham, but rather at my local station. However, I wanted a different perspective - that of her approaching and passing under the arch of the road bridge.

A bit arty, with only an arc of the arch.

LMS Royal Scot Class 6100 - Royal Scot
by Tim White, on Flickr

Passing through the arch.

by Tim White, on Flickr

And through the arch.

by Tim White, on Flickr

Isn't always the way..Lol Three.

Really nice photos and an excellent location.

I need to keep a close eye on your continuous thread…it catches me out,I think I've seen them.

Reactions: LC2
Probably my last Mainline Steam shots this year.
So to finish, let's have a non London location for a change.
After a bit of scoping out the surrounding area, it really seems that the platforms at Salisbury actually provide the clearest view. All the other options seem to have railings or concrete fencing.

One of Ian Riley's Black 5s, in British Railways Black, hauling the Steam Dream Cathedrals Express from Ashford (Kent) to Salisbury. Here seen approaching Salisbury station around 45 minutes down.

British Railways Black 5 - 45212 Approaching Salisbury
by Tim White, on Flickr

by Tim White, on Flickr

by Tim White, on Flickr

Nice B&W and I really like the openness of the second shot..the colouring is very attractive too and quite a lot to look at. It was nicely-timed getting the whole train in…. a moment or so later and it would have just been the loco but you knew that :)

Back