Mainline Steam

Name
matthew toms
Edit My Images
Yes
Well 35028 Clan Line was booked to run a tour down to Bristol on the Pullmans, so seemed like an excuse to get out with the camera and seeing as i was up in Woking planning on taking a few pics of the Rememberance service thought it would be rude not to.

Anyways bang on time we hear the faint whistle of 35028 only to see a unit alongside, ah bugger one thought (well said something else but i can't repeat it on this forum) but then again this did lead to a amusing picture.

#1 Surely these Desiros run on electric??
4094730733_7cc4462e83.jpg

4094731591_e790ae6a26.jpg

4095492684_83dc2a5463.jpg

4095493534_e2ffa21ce7.jpg

4094737345_2fbd4bb94a.jpg

4095495508_36d3aedc47.jpg

And the final image was of an EWS shed running London way, few more pics on my flickr site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/matthewtomsphotography/

any comments or feedback would be awsome

many thanks
matt

Nice pictures, not a train man myself but these are certainly interesting!

Some of the pictures have a real gritty / smokey feel to them, very nice.

Had to smile at #1

Love #4, nicely framed and great perspective. I'd be tempted to clone out the modern street lighting and cars, but a great image

I knew the TP forum would be the place to go. Really like the pics, very interesting 'steam' traing.

I have been googling around to try and find out where Steam trains will be running. I would really like to take my son to see one as he has just really begun to get excited about his Brio train set.

Any ideas where I should start looking (I am in South east and notice you mention Woking (10 minutes from me). How do I find out where/when steam trains will be running.

Cheers.
Damian

thanks for all the comments guys :)

Damian, that site posted is where i find all my kettle information out from, its bang up to date and has yet to let me down yet! As to seeing tours in our area, Clan Line runs almost on a weekly basis on the VSOE pullman stock, normally towards guildford then back around on itself coming back the other way. It normally waters at Shalford so might be a good place to take the young lad to see it up close :) But Woking is an okay spot if your looking to get photographs. Also we have Steam Dreams oftern running tours down towards the coast, and if you have a look at me flickr you can see what sort of traction we have had through the local area recently, 70013, 777, 60163, 34067, plenty about :)

but if your willing to travel this shot up at Gomshall is well worth it :)
204o.jpg

Also the mid hants is just a train journey away down at Alton, and should have the santa specials coming up so an excuse for a day out with the lad where you'll both enjoy it. I used to go when i was younger and still remember them :) but if you want a meet up when another one is through let me know where you wanna go as i have done a fair few spots in the area lol.

Wigster : cheers mate, yeah the weather was grim lol, prolly helped though for that 'grittyness' :)

V8burble : classic user name dude, nothing really beats a V8!! well okay maybe to on a drag strip, but thats another topic all together lol, i could clone out the 'clutter' in the corner, but i'm not a fan of acting god and removing items lol, they are there in the shot and nothing i can do about em lol, so just gotta work with what ya got! plus i aint the best at Photoshop lol

Penguin: cheers mate, and with the first one me mate was moaning his arse off that we were gonna be bowled but it was travelling quicker and thought hang on pic oppertunity here lol

artyman: top info both sites i use regularlly :)

and finally JPS: i know its unusual for train companies to get christmas but South West Trains looked to have proper got into to it this year, i wonder if they will decorate it with lights................... lol

many thanks, and keep the comments coming :)
Matt :)

Speaking as an armchair train-spotter, I really love Pic No 4. It's a good "classic" shot, like how all good railway photos should look.

Excellent work!

Excellent shots. Like the last one. Only just spotted this thread!

Matt,

Just checked back to this thread. Many thanks for your post. Great shot at Gomshall. Possibly an excuse for an upgrade to my kit too! :)

Cheers
Damian

Many thanks to all that have responded :) makes me a happy matt :)

Artymann was that on the run to Eastliegh for the open day?? if so i was on it lol, blinding run!

and Damian no worries man, and cheers its a nice spot i must admit, about to post some more pics up from todays adventures :)

Matt

I was on a cross country train this morning about 9:30am when a steam loco (same shape as the Mallard and same colour) flashed past westbound did any one catch it on its journey?

take a ganders in me other thread dude, was it blue or green lol

Looking at the photos it may have been green as I only got a quick glimpse of the loco as it was at speed but it did have mainly brown coaches with a few cream ones in between....but I am pretty certain it was blue but it was fast and could have been green but it definately had a sloped front like Mallard, our train was stopped just outside doncaster for ten mins till it passed and it passed at speed so once the train passed it was me alert and looking at coaches going by....sorry for the vague description but i was bored and needed to get off the train:shrug:

Re: #1.
Think, rebuilt Bulleid, box, steam - jesus h, I thought a Leader had come back from the dead! Amusing shot.

Looking at the photos it may have been green as I only got a quick glimpse of the loco as it was at speed but it did have mainly brown coaches with a few cream ones in between....but I am pretty certain it was blue but it was fast and could have been green but it definately had a sloped front like Mallard, our train was stopped just outside doncaster for ten mins till it passed and it passed at speed so once the train passed it was me alert and looking at coaches going by....sorry for the vague description but i was bored and needed to get off the train:shrug:
It was "Sir Nigel Gresley" with THIS.

Last edited:
Thats the one but it was too fast to get a good look .........made loads of steam n smoke in the station, it was still there ten mins after..........ahhhhhh memories.
Sorry I cant be more specific but we had to halt for it

I must admit the sound when it passed us was awesome shcii shii shii at 90mph brilliant, I have to get me some steam train shots

No the shot of Clan Line was earlier, I was at the Eastleigh Centenary though and waiting for my train home which followed Clan Line so I was on the platform at Eastleigh when she arrived. Been out shooting Tangmere today, haven't done the shots yet.

Like the pictures a lot.

Wonder why there is a Christmas tree growing between the lines (shots 1 to 3).

Photos are superb, I'm going to have to try this when I have another camera

Many thanks again for the replies :)

aye no idea why there is an christmas tree in the middle of the running lines, should put some lights on it make a proper effort lol,

and # 1 i think worked out fairly well lol, if only it had happened in April could have sent it into a mag lol

many thanks again for the comments :)

Matt :)

Back