Mainly overcast day bird photography

Name
Elene
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone I am looking for advise. I was planning to go to Hawk Conservancy tomorrow as its my only day off when my husband is home and can pick my son up from school. Its a 2 hour train ride each way from my house each way. Weather is showing mostly cloudy and I don't know what to do as I really want to go back there alone and I don't know when else will I have time to go alone but really worried my photos will be rubbish cause its mainly overcast. What would you do?
Thank you in advance.

What camera and lens would you be using and do you shoot raw.

Yes I shoot raw, nikon D500 and 200-500mm lens mainly although I sometimes use nikon 100mm macro for closeups

With that outfit and shooting raw I would be tempted to take the risk depending on how difficult it would be to go another time and the forecast in the morning,

It's not raining but I think the light is not good for mainly overcast day. Next time I can get a day off like this might be in few weeks and no guarantee for the weather. I could go nearby tomorrow instead of so far but I just really love the place and was hoping to go there. I am really stressed out for nothing I guess but I only get a day off like this once in a while and hate to waste it

What I'd do, is use manual, fast shutter speed, open the fstop at wide as possible for focal length, then set the ISO to auto, to maintain exposure. Always a risk of introducing noise into the photography, but there again a bit of noise against no photograph is better. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

What I'd do, is use manual, fast shutter speed, open the fstop at wide as possible for focal length, then set the ISO to auto, to maintain exposure. Always a risk of introducing noise into the photography, but there again a bit of noise against no photograph is better. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

Do you limit max iso? I am using auto iso but limiting it to 500

when I remember I limit to around the 1600, I will limit or drop my speed down a bit more but really depends what animal I'm shooting, but it's a case of zooming in to regularly check what's happening, is the noise building too much and softing the photograph, drop the shutter speed, is this making it better or worse.... I do use a 7mk 2, which it's low light ability isn't the greatest... So you may have less issues with noise than I do with the D500

Mind you, when weather forecast says 'Overcast' its really difficult to know what light you're going to be having, if the layer of cloud isn't thick or dense then some lovely defused light to play with, if it's overcast with storm clouds, or a very thick layer of dense cloud more of a struggle.

I would go :) it will be good practice - try out different settings and see what works best for you - then go again next time you have a day off to perfect the shots :)

Have a look at my kingfisher shots from today ,grey overcast day ,iso 6400 mainly on a micro four thirds sensor ,smaller than yours

Back